Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jayseattle
Topic Author

Transitions for slideshow? (fades, slides, etc..)

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:52 pm

I've searched the forum/sdk docs but have not found anything other than some topics suggesting drawing a solid on another layer and decreasing opacity as well as some transitions in the "BrightScreen" (sorry don't remember the name) products.

thanks

RokuJoel

Re: Transitions for slideshow? (fades, slides, etc..)

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:17 pm

You would need to use roScreen, and exclude your channel from 3.1 firmware devices as they will not be able to do smooth crossfades, you can set an alpha blending value when you call drawObject or DrawScaledObject.

For all devices both new and old you should be able to do slide-in transitions fairly easily. Using a double-buffered screen will make for a better visual effect as it won't draw in between screen refresh.

- Joel

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:42 pm

RokuJoel wrote:
... 3.1 firmware devices as they will not be able to do smooth crossfades

What does that mean, details?
I am exploring alpha blending but don't remember seeing this in the docs, what are the 3.1 limitations regarding Alpha's?

TheEndless

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:49 pm

EnTerr wrote:
RokuJoel wrote:
... 3.1 firmware devices as they will not be able to do smooth crossfades

What does that mean, details?
I am exploring alpha blending but don't remember seeing this in the docs, what are the 3.1 limitations regarding Alpha's?

It's not documented, but DrawObject (and all variants) will accept and additional alpha parameter. That parameter isn't supported on 3.1, so you wouldn't be able to do a crossfade. It'd also cause a crash if you tried passing the parameter on 3.1, so you'd either need to call it conditionally, or exclude 3.1 devices altogether.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

EnTerr

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 pm

TheEndless wrote:
It's not documented, but DrawObject (and all variants) will accept and additional alpha parameter. That parameter isn't supported on 3.1, so you wouldn't be able to do a crossfade. It'd also cause a crash if you tried passing the parameter on 3.1, so you'd either need to call it conditionally, or exclude 3.1 devices altogether.

Intriguing... do you know if that extra param works on non-OpenGL fw5 devices, like the 27xx series?

TheEndless

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:55 pm

EnTerr wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

Intriguing... do you know if that extra param works on non-OpenGL fw5 devices, like the 27xx series?

It does.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

EnTerr

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:06 am

TheEndless wrote:
EnTerr wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
It does.

So it must be there to stay and it's about time they document that parameter. Too many things to ask w/o doc
- What kind of value has to be passed? It did not seem to be 1 octet only for Alpha. Is it RGBA and if so what's the role of RGB there.
- Do all the other alphas get ignored when that param is present (i.e. destination's alphaEnable and source's alpha mask)?

I tried Screen.DrawObject(x, y, region, int) - it does not crash, at least not the YAWRR way - rather program stops with error message "Member function not found in BrightScript Component or interface".

squirreltown

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:19 am

crossfade two things:

screen.SetAplhaEnable(true)
for i = 0 to 255
hexcolor = &hFFFFFFFF - i
hexcolor2  = &hFFFFFF00 + i
screen.Clear(&hebebebFF)
screen.drawobject(0, 0, objectfadeout, hexcolor)
screen.drawobject(0, 0, objectfadein, hexcolor2)
screen.SwapBuffers()
end for
Kinetics Screensavers

TheEndless

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:43 am

EnTerr wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
EnTerr wrote:
It does.

So it must be there to stay and it's about time they document that parameter. Too many things to ask w/o doc
- What kind of value has to be passed? It did not seem to be 1 octet only for Alpha. Is it RGBA and if so what's the role of RGB there.
- Do all the other alphas get ignored when that param is present (i.e. destination's alphaEnable and source's alpha mask)?

It's an RGBA value in the range of &HFFFFFF00 to &HFFFFFFFF. No idea what the RGB portion is for. This has no effect on the destination AlphaEnable state. It should behave the same as it would if you were drawing an image that was already semi-transparent (i.e., blend pixels if AlphaEnable is true, replace pixels if AlphaEnable is false).

EnTerr wrote:
I tried Screen.DrawObject(x, y, region, int) - it does not crash, at least not the YAWRR way - rather program stops with error message "Member function not found in BrightScript Component or interface".

That's what I meant by crash... a channel crash, not a full system meltdown.

squirreltown

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 am

TheEndless wrote:
It's an RGBA value in the range of &HFFFFFF00 to &HFFFFFFFF. No idea what the RGB portion is for. This has no effect on the destination AlphaEnable state. It should behave the same as it would if you were drawing an image that was already semi-transparent (i.e., blend pixels if AlphaEnable is true, replace pixels if AlphaEnable is false).

They probably left it in to be consistent (!) since you can fade text and rectangles etc. where the color would be needed - not just bitmaps.
Kinetics Screensavers

EnTerr

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:31 am

TheEndless wrote:

Thank you for showing the known working values (ditto @squirreltown for the example). What about the alpha channel of the source bitmap, does it get ignored - or honored (i.e. doing blending both by parameter and source pixel alpha)?

Here is a theory on the RGB part - those could be per-color-channel alphas, i.e. you can color-tint the image by using non-FFFFFF values. Or say doing 0xFF0000FF will give you only the red plane... and maybe with some luck 0x000000FF imprints only the alpha plane? (that would be fantastic)

squirreltown

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:45 am

I know if you have transparent parts of the bitmap, they remain transparent through the fade, as long as screen.SetAlpha is true. I don't think color tinting a bitmap works if i read you right, the Roku seems to ignore the color part of the hex string if its a bitmap - if you set a bitmap color to &hFFFFFFFF or &h000000FF it looks the same.
Kinetics Screensavers

EnTerr

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:06 pm

squirreltown wrote:
I don't think color tinting a bitmap works if i read you right, the Roku seems to ignore the color part of the hex string if its a bitmap - if you set a bitmap color to &hFFFFFFFF or &h000000FF it looks the same.

It works for me. If it didn't, this would be an all-white frame - since in generating code, A is the same and i tweak only R and G channels of the mask:
Der Programmcode:
    bitmap = CreateObject("roBitmap", {width: 100, height: 100})
    bitmap.Clear(&hFFFFFFFF)

screen = CreateObject("roScreen")
    for i = 0 to 255
        screen.DrawObject(50 + 512-2*i, 50 + 0, bitmap, RGBA(255, 255-i, 0, 255))
        screen.DrawObject(50 + 0, 50 + 512-2*i, bitmap, RGBA(i, 0, 0, 255))
        screen.DrawObject(50 + 2*i, 50 + 512,   bitmap, RGBA(0, i, 0, 255))
        screen.DrawObject(50 + 512, 50 +2*i,    bitmap, RGBA(255-i, 255, 0, 255))
        'screen.finish()
    end for
    screen.finish()
    wait(0, screen.getPort())

Where RGBA of course is
function RGBA(r, g, b, a)
    return &h1000000*r + &h10000*g + &h100*b + a
end function

PS. bonus points if someone can explain why this code works always on Roku3 (4200) - but same code on HDMI stick (3500) shows the roScreen in only about 40-50% of the time, rest of the cases channel stays in "Loading..." screen forever (=till exiting manually). Seems like a nasty race condition bug.

squirreltown

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Thats cool. I should have said external (.png .jpg) bitmaps.
Kinetics Screensavers

TheEndless

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

EnTerr wrote:
PS. bonus points if someone can explain why this code works always on Roku3 (4200) - but same code on HDMI stick (3500) shows the roScreen in only about 40-50% of the time, rest of the cases channel stays in "Loading..." screen forever (=till exiting manually). Seems like a nasty race condition bug.

Assuming you've pasted that code directly into Main/RunUserInterface, it's likely because you don't have a facade open to keep the channel alive, and the call to CreateObject("roBitmap") is right on the edge of the threshold. Move the CreateObject("roScreen") before the creation of the bitmap, and I bet it runs 100% of the time.