Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roverradio
Visitor

No audio (only sometimes) after HLS bitrate switch

I have an m3u8 with multibitrate HLS with 700k and 2000k flavors. Both flavors are encoded the same, except for resolution (higher is 1280x720), same audio codec/format.

Roku starts playing with the 700k stream always. Then after 15 seconds or so it switches up to the 2000k stream. But about 50 or 60% of the time the video plays fine, but there is no audio once the switch occurs. I can't figure out why this may be happening. Any ideas?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: No audio (only sometimes) after HLS bitrate switch

I suggest that you pass your streams through VLC with the verbosity level set high for more information about your stream. Make sure that all of your variant streams actually have audio in them.

- Joel
0 Kudos
roverradio
Visitor

They definitely do (there are only 2 streams), and Roku is the only platform I'm having issues with. In fact, if I back out of playing and then immediately hit play again, it will often work fine and I will get audio when it switches up to the higher bitrate stream. So sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I have the channel published as private - I can provide details if there's a way to do that and you can see if you have the same results I'm seeing here.

It's odd.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Yes, pm me a link and we will take a look, however best would be if you dropbox me an example .zip that we could side-load and test

- Joel
0 Kudos
roverradio
Visitor

Perfect...send you a PM. Thanks!
0 Kudos
roverradio
Visitor

Hey Joel,

Let me know if you're able to take a look at this. I tried about 20 times on Friday and it worked fine each time. Tried 3 times today and audio failed once (but again was immediately corrected by just backing out and playing again).

Has me stumped.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

I won't have time for a couple of days to look at this, sorry.

- Joel
0 Kudos