Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gidogeek
Visitor

Roku Channels for The Netherlands

Hi there,

I'm the very happy owner of a Roku 3. My colleagues are happy owners of a Roku LT and Roku 2. Since there aren't that many channels available in The Netherlands we all mainly use the Plex channel. However, since we're all developers, we've taken it upon ourselves to change the availability of channels for our region. We're currently putting the final touches on 3 channels and a fourth one may be coming soon. They are all channels to allow (legal) live streaming of the Dutch national TV channels. After we've finished them we would obviously love to share the joy of these channels with as many happy Roku owners as possible. Therefor we would like to submit them to the official Channel store.

However, when going through the procedure of adding the channel to the store I'm faced with this drop-down of available "channel stores" Obviously it's not possible to select my country (yet!!) so I would have to go for the "Rest of the world" store. Now obviously I have read the "Channel Checklist" which states:

"The channel needs to do IP filtering if its content is restricted by region." and
"The channel should not be available in channel stores for regions it does not support."

As it happens our live streams of the Dutch national tv channels is IP restricted by country. Now I'm wondering if it is at all possible to get our channels approved in the "Rest of the world" store or not. And if not, what else can we do besides distributing this through private channels? Not everybody I know who was a Roku is tech savvy.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Channels for The Netherlands

I don't believe there would be a problem with Dutch only channels, however, I'm not certain how we would test playback as we don't have a VPN into the Netherlands for testing. The other issue would be: does the government of the Netherlands approve your use of their streams within your channel?

Assuming that we, and you can resolve those issues, as long as you describe the channel as "Netherlands only" in your channel store description and perhaps also in the splash screen, then there should not be any issue with publishing in the Rest of World channel stores.

"The channel needs to do IP filtering if its content is restricted by region." and
"The channel should not be available in channel stores for regions it does not support."

The first one, we have never enforced this as far as I'm aware - it is up to the developer to respect the regional licenses for content they are streaming)

The second, your channel is already in the Rest of World region, so that would already be true. Just don't submit for any other regions than Rest of World.

You can send me a private message if you want to discuss further.

- Joel
0 Kudos
gidogeek
Visitor

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds all great. Will PM you for details.
0 Kudos
Konami
Visitor

Is it finishd and how can i download IT?
0 Kudos
Konami
Visitor

"Konami" wrote:
Is it finishd and how can i download IT?
0 Kudos