Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Rek
Topic Author

Problem Supporting Old Rokus

Thu May 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi all, I've encountered some documentation discrepancies that make it difficult for me to support old firmware. Specifically, the documentation indicates that roMessageDialog.addLeftButton was introduced in firmware version 2.7 (http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifMessageDialog#ifMessageDialog-AddLeftButtonidasIntegertitleasStringasBoolean), however I attempted to use this method on a roku running version 3.0 and it failed.

Are there any documents which are more up-to-date that I can use as a reference for when methods were added?

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Problem Supporting Old Rokus

Thu May 08, 2014 6:35 pm

No - there is no other documentation. What you see is the "latest and greatest" information provided by RokuCo.
I tried quickly on fw3 and seems that (at least) the following methods are not available there:
  • AddButtonSeparator() as Boolean
  • AddStaticText(text as String) as Void
  • UpdateText(text as String) as Void
  • AddLeftButton(id as Integer, title as String) as Boolean
  • AddLeftRatingButton(id as Integer, userRating as Integer, aggregateRating as Integer, tip as String) as Boolean

Someone Roku* should research and update that page with the proper versions. And/or arrange for the methods to be added on fw3
Last edited by EnTerr on Thu May 08, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Problem Supporting Old Rokus

Thu May 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Unfortunately not. They seemed to stop tracking the date added when they switched to the wiki.
Your best method is to test the channel on the legacy hardware, and add specific checks around any code that fails.

Side note, I wasn't even aware of the AddLeftXXXButton methods, so thanks for pointing that out!
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)