Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 am

As part of initiation into "Roku Billing Services Program", RokuCo requires submitting IRS forms W-9 or W-8BEN. As far as i know those are required when a (sub)contractor is paid 1099-MISC style. But the relationship between Roku Inc and developer - as established by "Roku Billing Services Agreement" - seems to be of a different kind, one in which RokuCo is providing billing services to developers. To wit:
1. Introduction wrote:
[Roku Inc will] perform the payment processing services corresponding to purchases of the Content. As payment for Roku’s services, Developer agrees that Roku may retain a portion of the revenues received

From what i know, Apple and Google also formalize their role in app purchases in the same way, as payment processors - but AFAIK they don't send 1099-MISC forms. Apple says:
iTunes Connect, Banking and Tax FAQ wrote:
Will Apple send a U.S. Tax Form 1099 for my sales?
No. Sales on the App Store are sales by you, the developer of copyrighted works, to end users. Therefore, Apple takes the position that payments made to you for these sales are payments for products or goods, which are specifically exempt from reporting on Form 1099 even though the payments may be taxable income to you.

You are responsible for determining your own tax obligations with respect to these payments. If you are uncertain of your tax obligations, we recommend that you consult with a tax professional.

How does this work in Roku Inc's case - does the company send 1099 tax forms at the end of the year?
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:34 am

Yes. Roku sends 1099s for channel sales.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
User avatar
BradC
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 am

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:14 am

Nope, you can't skip out on taxes, uncle sam knows how many channels you sold. :lol:
 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:22 pm

BradC wrote:
Nope, you can't skip out on taxes, uncle sam knows how many channels you sold. :lol:

No, it ain't like that. Even with no tax forms, there is still [e]paper trail of bank deposits and when in doubt, payor can be subpoenaed - so can't commend hiding non-trivial income. Or even trivial one, in the case of Chase that would send me 1099-INT for 7 dollars and a few cents.

I am asking because how Roku Inc formalizes it affects tax paperwork.
Any idea what kind of form is it for individual/sole proprietor - 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV, 1099-K... or something else?
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Usually 1099 MISC I believe.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 pm

EnTerr wrote:
I am asking because how Roku Inc formalizes it affects tax paperwork.
Any idea what kind of form is it for individual/sole proprietor - 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV, 1099-K... or something else?

Can i get clarification from Roku*, please?
 
User avatar
RokuJoel
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:50 pm

We send 1099-Misc.

- Joel
 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Thread update for posterity: per viewtopic.php?f=34&t=93365#p523744, RokuCo now sends 1099-K forms.
 
Pikkos
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 am

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:52 am

EnTerr wrote:
As part of initiation into "Roku Billing Services Program", RokuCo requires submitting IRS forms W-9 or W-8BEN. As far as i know those are required when a (sub)contractor is paid 1099-MISC style. But the relationship between Roku Inc and developer - as established by "Roku Billing Services Agreement" - seems to be of a different kind, one in which RokuCo is providing billing services to developers. Tax advisor near me Your books On Time. To wit:
1. Introduction wrote:
[Roku Inc will] perform the payment processing services corresponding to purchases of the Content. As payment for Roku’s services, Developer agrees that Roku may retain a portion of the revenues received

From what i know, Apple and Google also formalize their role in app purchases in the same way, as payment processors - but AFAIK they don't send 1099-MISC forms. Apple says:
iTunes Connect, Banking and Tax FAQ wrote:
Will Apple send a U.S. Tax Form 1099 for my sales?
No. Sales on the App Store are sales by you, the developer of copyrighted works, to end users. Therefore, Apple takes the position that payments made to you for these sales are payments for products or goods, which are specifically exempt from reporting on Form 1099 even though the payments may be taxable income to you.

You are responsible for determining your own tax obligations with respect to these payments. If you are uncertain of your tax obligations, we recommend that you consult with a tax professional.

How does this work in Roku Inc's case - does the company send 1099 tax forms at the end of the year?

have you sorted out the question?
 
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3473
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Roku does not sent 1099s for payments made through Paypal (unless it's over $20,000 or something like that). Payments made directly to a bank account (e.g., ad revenue) will be reported on a 1099.

At least that's my experience.

-JT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests