Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Dev Setup Survey / Inquiry

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:05 am

EnTerr wrote:
How do you manage such things with auto-backups? Or is it so rarely you find yourself needing things like above that it's not worth the botheration?

For client code, I do exactly what you've described. Generate my changelog and verify deltas during the diffs at check-in.
For my personal code, I definitely should, but I generally don't. I've tried it on several occasions. I even have my own SVN server set up "in the cloud", but I never remember to check stuff into it, so having automatic backups is the next best thing. FWIW, my makefile also appends a timestamp to the end of every zip and/or pkg file it generates, so until/unless I manually clean up my builds folder for each project, I also have a copy of every single build I make of a channel.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

BradC

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:31 pm

EnTerr wrote:
You guys, umm... don't believe in source control systems?
Things like cvs, subversion, git, whathaveyou...

I'm up to my eyeballs in using and managing subversion and TFS at my *real* job. :lol: I really never even considered using it at home. I suppose now that my projects are starting to get stupidly complicated it might not be a bad idea, ...but knowing me I'm pretty much certain that I'd spend a lot of time getting everything set up and then never use it anyway.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

Komag

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:40 am

All my Roku files are in my Dropbox folder, so that's my backup (cloud, and my other PCs). I just overwrite the zip of my channel every time, but every few days I copy it over to a "backup" folder, so I have old versions.

And whenever I cut out some section of code or make significant changes, I copy the old part into an "old code" file with some notes. I've "searched" it on a couple occasions for some snippet I needed to get back, but mostly it's just a graveyard.

So my whole approach is very amateurish and small potatoes, but hey, this is my first programming, so it works for me :)

sjb64

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:44 am

Komag wrote:
So my whole approach is very amateurish and small potatoes, but hey, this is my first programming, so it works for me :)

I know a lot of professional programmers with decades of experience who, without an enforced corporate version/source control system in place, do a lot worse than that. Informal and not as 'thorough' as TFS or GIT or any of the local SC systems might be, but works a lot better than nothing at all (unfortunately the most common scenario).
FlixRaider channel

Romans_I_XVI

Sun May 03, 2015 7:55 am

@TheEndless I love your setup. I know what you mean about Macs, if I had the money I'd do the same, except I'd slap a penguin sticker over that Apple! :P Love Linux. Despise windows 8 so bad, if I need windows I stick with 7. Also I want to steal your MinGW , never heard of it before but what you say you can do with it sounds VERY cool.

And if anyone is curious of my setup.

Old low powered laptop with a screen that's way too small for development (seriously want a new one)
Ubunu Linux with Gnome Shell DE (actually prefer Arch but Ubuntu is easier to install and breaks less)
Eclipse

It's really a very basic setup. Maybe someday I'll have a fancy setup like TheEndless :P

Also I'm with you Enterr, I use private Git for my games. The comments are useful, also I do use branches if say I want to try to add a new feature to a game that I am otherwise happy with. Great way to try out new things while leaving the original version in tact.

dev42
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2015 12:59 am

Are MinGW and Cygwin similar?

@Romans - I'm not sure about using it as a full on dev platform, but if you have an oldish computer, give Puppy Linux a try. Loads completely into ram. Amazingly fast.

gdahilig

Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 am

BradC wrote:
Managed to accidentally delete all my source code a couple years ago. (yay me! wooo! :oops: )

GitHub for source control help :D

Gene

BradC

Tue May 19, 2015 5:04 pm

gdahilig wrote:
BradC wrote:
Managed to accidentally delete all my source code a couple years ago. (yay me! wooo! :oops: )

GitHub for source control help :D

ya. hindsight. :) Wouldn't have even been a problem if I hadn't mistakenly formatted not just one, but two of the wrong drives when shuffling a bunch of computers to friends and relatives during my last upgrade.

And I do have to thank Enterr for making me rethink source control. His post just sat on my brain until I gave in and installed subversion here, which I am sure I wouldn't have done otherwise, but it may end up saving my butt at some point in the future if I manage to really screw something up, which I'm pretty good at doing. :)

Thanks Enterr. :D
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦