Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

4k Content on Roku

Hi folks, as you are probably aware, Roku announced a 4k reference platform at the beginning of the year.

Here is some useful information if you are planning to deliver 4k content on the Roku platform in the future:

(HEVC Main 10)
Video Codecs: h.265 or VP9
Streaming Protocols: MPEG DASH / HLS / Microsoft Smooth (with optional PlayReady DRM)

2160p
1:1 pixel/color at 30fps
2:1 pixel/color at 60fps

HDR won't be supported initially.

Not possible to mix h.265 4k content with h.264 content in an HLS playlist, variants must all be h.265 for 4k.

If you are capable of, or already able to deliver UHD content at the present time, please fill out this spreadsheet and email to developer@roku.com with subject: [name of your company or channel] 4k content on Roku

If at all possible, please include stream URLs that can be tested.

Device detection and other developer information will be added to this post later.

We won't be able to answer many questions on this subject in the forums at this time.

- Joel
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: 4k Content on Roku

Will Roku support 4K with h.264 in an mp4 container?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

No, only h.265 or VP9 and not in a progressive format like MP4.

Joel
0 Kudos
SimonC4
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:

Video Codecs: h.265 or VP9
Streaming Protocols: MPEG DASH / HLS / Microsoft Smooth (with optional PlayReady DRM)

Can MPEG-DASH be used with PlayReady DRM or is it only Microsoft Smooth Streaming?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

It looks like we do support MPEG-DASH with Playready.

- Joel
0 Kudos
jeer232002
Visitor

From what I hear Netflix is going to support 4k media .. not sure of another 4k media

FYI- you need a TV that can output 4k resolution to even use the big added future of the roku 4
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"jeer232002" wrote:
FYI- you need a TV that can output 4k resolution to even use the big added future of the roku 4

More specifically, you need a TV that supports HDCP 2.2 - not all 4k televisions will work.

- Joel
0 Kudos
Scifi_guy
Channel Surfer

Joel, I was disappointed in that the Roku 4 doesn't seem to play any 4k videos through the usb. Am I right about this? Also if it does, it looks like the h264 needs to be converted to h265, correct? If so, can you suggest a converter?
0 Kudos
Scifi_guy
Channel Surfer

can the roku 4 play 4k video through the usb?
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

I'm having issues getting the SDK to play 4k at all. We managed to find someone who could make H265 HLS / MPEG DASH files (bitcodin).

For HLS:
Url: "http://testingask.s3.amazonaws.com/test4k/119246_fb33c06eb5e3d71a9eddd90f1bf6bceb/119246.m3u8"
The video plays but the audio is completely messed up.

For MPEG DASH:
Url: "http://testingask.s3.amazonaws.com/test4k/119246_fb33c06eb5e3d71a9eddd90f1bf6bceb/119246.mpd"
I get "Unexpected codec 'hvc1.1.c.L93.90' "

Could someone please take a look and let us know what is wrong with these files? It would be really helpful if Roku posted links to some 4k sample files used for testing (Roku tested 4K with the SDK, right?) and/or some suggested methods to make compatible files.
0 Kudos