Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnnyutah
Visitor

Roku Push Notifications Equivalent to IOS/Android

Hello all,

I am exploring using push notifications on a Roku app and wanted to ask the Roku forums for any ideas on how to achieve the push notifications functionality, similar to IOS/Android's use. I am not referring to Roku's built in push notifications for billing but an independent method. Any ideas?

I.E. XMPP server or socket.io server with the Roku client connecting via websocket ( is this even possible with roStreamSocket or ifSocket? ) Has any developer implemented websockets for general use? I would not want to use long polling either.

Cheers to any ideas.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Push Notifications Equivalent to IOS/Android

I was looking for websockets last year and nothing, seems like dead end.

I suppose you can do UDP datagrams, though it's quite unclear how long particular firewall/router will hold the NAT mapping, so client will have to ping regularly to keep-alive and if missed, suddenly server will receive it from another port... seems more trouble that worth it.
0 Kudos
johnnyutah
Visitor

Thanks for the confirmation. Any idea on how to achieve this functionality without websocket?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Periodic pull or long polling comes to mind, why not?
WebSockets has the advantage of being full duplex but give you want 1-way notifications, cost/benefits of long-poll seem the same.
0 Kudos
sharukh
Visitor

I am too facing the same issue. I want to enable chat functionality in my Roku app and I want to use XMMP for this. Is it possible to use XMMP within a Roku App ? Please reply !!!!

Best Regards,
Sharukh
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"sharukh" wrote:
I am too facing the same issue. I want to enable chat functionality in my Roku app and I want to use XMMP for this. Is it possible to use XMMP within a Roku App ?

i see no issue doing XMMP using its native transport (TCP) or HTTP. You will however have to implement XMMP yourself, i don't know anyone publishing Roku library for that
0 Kudos