Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yuriy_OM
Visitor

SceneGraph Video - does it really play 4K resolution?

Hi All,

I have been experimenting with 4K content on Roku 4 within SceneGraph and noticed that I can't seem to see the difference on a 4k TV between HD and 4K versions of the same content.

I have a suspicion that roku down-scales video resolution to HD, even though content is played in 4K full screen. My concern comes from the following facts:

- According to docs, roku 4 SceneGraph GUI is rendered in 1920x1080 resolution
- According to docs, when setting Video node width/height to 0 - "If set to 0.0 (the default), the video play window is set to the width/height of the entire display screen."
- Within SceneGraph a display screen is 1920x1080, so would this mean 4k video will be played within the HD container? thus being down-scaled?

As I mentioned previously, I can't see the difference between HD and 4K content on Roku 4. Of course, there are multiple factors like video quality,tv quality, eyes quality 🙂 and so on. But the question still stands - how can we verify this?

Roku dev team - I would appreciate timely response! Thank you
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

Re: SceneGraph Video - does it really play 4K resolution?

Looks to me that (at least now), the player is jumping into a "4k" mode and actually playing the full resolution.
0 Kudos