Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: What's with RAF and leg shaving?!

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:37 am

Seems that RAF fails a Bright-Line rule, hmm?
"Thou shalt not crash"

renojim

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:05 am

It looks like the crash may be of my own doing by not allowing my SE to update its firmware. I could have sworn I saw the crash on multiple devices, but it was getting late and my frustration level was on the rise, so perhaps my memory was faulty. Since my last report I've only seen the crash on the SE with fw 7.0 and the same ads don't crash my Roku 3 or TV. I am seeing a few users that look like they're still on v7.0 as of 7/6, so this is still a little bit of a problem.

-JT

EnTerr
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:24 am

Don't think can give a free-pass-to-crash-on-7.0 to RAF though.

I just had quick look at my server logs and in the second half of June i have been seeing Roku/DVP-7.0 agents almost daily. That's a Roku3/Roku4 app only. The latest entry is 7/3 by a 4200X at "Roku/DVP-7.0 (047.00E09021A)". Multiply mine by a thousand... twirl fingers... let's say there are 50,000 players 4200/4400 at 7.0, hence BrightLine-crashable. I think on RokuTV situation is worse - i saw people complaining^ some of Roku TV are still on 7.0.

Boy, am i glad i had the foresight to sandbox the RAF calls in my app, so it continues undeterred!
I felt like a bloody genius for a short while. But then i tried looking in the logs for traces of the error happening... and there were none. You see, it was supposed log the error code if RAF shat itself. So either that never happened or... yikes, 'tis true - i am part-time idiot too :oops:. On reviewing my code I discover i have bungled the addition of the error code to the event. So while indeed i correctly log that say 25% of my calls did not complete an ad - i cannot tell how many of these might be due to RAF shootings

(^) https://blog.roku.com/developer/2016/06 ... 2751815021
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=95486#p534128
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=95486&start=15#p534228

renojim

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:36 pm

So no ads coming through again today. Anyone have any suggestions for a service that works with RAF and actually has a good supply of ads?

-JT

EnTerr
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:20 pm

renojim wrote:
So no ads coming through again today. Anyone have any suggestions for a service that works with RAF and actually has a good supply of ads?

Confirming - during the last 4 hours over 50% of RokuCo-served requests for ads have been unfilled.

I blame it on channels that show multiple ads per session :) and thus drain a shallow pool.
But seriously - i too am all ears about "serious" video ad suppliers.

BradC

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:41 pm

belltown wrote:
I think this is normal. Every time I play Pathogen 2, it tries to convince me to shave my legs. If I complied every time, I'd be shaving down to the bone marrow by now.

sorry. :oops:
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

EnTerr
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:03 am

RokuKC wrote:
This should only be an issue if the device is running firmware version older than 7.1.
Do you have information about the firmware version and/or region for the crashing device?

I am seeing traces of RAF play failing on 7.2 devices, to ballpark it about 5% of the fulfilled^ ad requests seem to end up that way.

I experienced it yesterday with public-ed app, unfortunately am unable to reproduce it on cue in side-loaded channel. However, i can peruse the server logs! ^^

Looking at the last dozen bombed traces from yesterday, these are Roku 3 and Roku 4 devices, reporting agents "Roku/DVP-7.20 (047.20E04100A)" and "Roku/DVP-7.20 (177.20E04100A)" respectively. By geo ip, it's a fair mix of US states (CA, NJ, KS, IL, TX, MN, GA, AZ, IN, IL, CO, WI), plus one from Mexico. Half of the players have been served ads successfully during different sessions (before or after). I might be able to provide more info if there is interest from the Co (i.e. issue is not known).

(^) Note this is separate from the low fill rate RokuCo is having right now. I calc'd % share vs filled slots.
(^^) Q: How can you tell that an elephant has been in your refrigerator?
A: By the footprints in the butter.