I have been troubleshooting the same issue. Not sure if it would be better to start a new thread, or add to this one. Since more information is usually better than less, here goes.
- All my bluray movies that have been converted to mp4 to direct play through the Emby app fail after 10 to 30 minutes, like someone clicked the back button.
- dvd conversions and tv recorded conversions seem to work fine
- only on full movie files - making a short segment just where the error happens does not repeat the problem
- files play fine on a USB stick via the Roku Media Player app
- Original Roku 3 (4200), Wired network connection, firmware 7.2.0 build 4100-04
- Windows server, always on, hard wired gigabit network, Running Emby Server
- This set up has been in place for almost 2 years, very stable, files always worked
- MP4 files converted directly from source via Handbrake. 15 to 20 gigs each
- Video: Codec H264 High Profile Level 40, 1080P, 23.97 fps, Refframes 4
- Audio: AAC Stereo 2 channel, 156 kbps. Subtitles MOV_TEXT
- Bitrate: Most are pretty high, 15000 to 24000kbps
Things I think I have ruled out
- network issue - raspberry pi streams fine. plus it does not buffer - it just closes
- file corruption - tries multiple movies. movie plays on RMP
- bitrate - I have tried files from 22000 to 5000 bitrate, same issue
- DTS audio - same issue with AAC
- HD issue - other 1080p files recorded on TV work fine
- bif file error - saw something in the log about the bif file, tried playback without the bif file, same issue
To date I have tried:
- the easy stuff - reboot emby server, reboot PC server, power cycle router/switch, power cycle roku multiple times
- Encoding test - my original quality was set to 15 in handbrake - this file stopped playing at 12 min just like before (16871 kbps)
- Encoding test - reencoded from source with quality set to 22 - stopped playing at 16 min (4222 kbps)
- I re-did all my handbrake settings using the recommendations from rokoding.com (5041 kbps), this made a few changes like constant framerate and strict anamorphic and less b-frames. stopped at 36min
- Tested on another roku - I have two rokus, one hooked up to a fancy sound bar through HDMI passthrough that supports all the fancy sound formats. the other is a simple hdmi connection direct to the TV with built in stereo speakers. Both on 7.2. Both do the same thing
- try to rollback the roku firmware - tried the secret menu, when I select update firmware it just reapplied 7.2. Grr.
things yet to try:
- try to re-encode the movie in mcebuddy since the tv shows coming from it seem to work fine
- more reencoding tests - lower ref frames, b-frames, fixed framerate, etc
- try to update my emby server - been putting this off since I know it will take time.
- Maybe try another app?
- remove subtitles from file?
More details (mediainfo files, etc) are available to anyone who would like them, thanks for any help!