Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlourenco
Visitor

Access secret screens via ECP commands

Hi there,

when trying to access the 10 different secret screens (that I know about) simulating key presses via ECP commands, only 2 out of them get displayed.
For instance, accessing the channel info screen (home x3, up x2, left, right, left, right, left) works fine while accessing the developer settings screen (home x3, up x2, right, left, right, left, right) doesn't.

I am wondering if this as expected or all screens should be accessible through ECP keypresses.

Thanks. 
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Access secret screens via ECP commands

It is expected. Access to certain screens via ECP keypresses is disallowed for security reasons.
0 Kudos
CV27
Visitor

Re: Access secret screens via ECP commands

Sorry to awake an old thread.

I've stored away all the remotes: I control everything IR, RF or IP via an iPad.  So having some of the secret screens only activate from the Roku remote means finding the remote, putting batteries in, etc.  Sort of counter 'home automation'.

When you mention "disallowed for security reasons", I'm not sure I understand.  As far as I can tell, the Roku remote is point to point WiFi to the Roku device, but even point to point can be hacked.   Second, the Roku device should only allow ECP from the same subnet.  If not, then access from outside the LAN would require port 8060 to be opened along with firewall rules.

I'm not sure where the exposure is by allowing all secret screens from ECP.

Can you expand?