Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Developer community updates!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 am

TheEndless wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting the dropdowns on the new dev portal to work in Google Chrome?  Without those working, the site is pretty much useless in Chrome, which is beyond frustrating.

Yes... on a Mac  :P

Have a look/add your voice to https://github.com/rokudev/docs/issues/9
The incompetence of Co's web developers is mind boggling. Never mind QA (obviously not done on web portal) - these are issues the developer himself should have tripped into by casual clicking...

belltown

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:39 am

TheEndless wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting the dropdowns on the new dev portal to work in Google Chrome?  Without those working, the site is pretty much useless in Chrome, which is beyond frustrating.

None of the dropdown links under Products or Support do anything for me when clicked using Chrome or Firefox on Ubuntu. The links under Welcome Belltown do work though. This applies whether logged in on https://developer.roku.com/index# or https://my.roku.com/index#

Here's the HTML I'm seeing for one of the links in question:

<a class="glyphicon glyphicon-chevron-right-after" data-reload-navigation="true" href="#" title="Troubleshooting" data-reactid=".0.2.1.1:3.0">Troubleshooting</a>
https://github.com/belltown/

TripSmarter.Com

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Kudos for all the new launches recently! Analytics and Direct Publisher are especially helpful.

Question: We are noticing a HUGE increase in numbers between what was previously reported as "Installs" in the old dashboard and "Cumulative Installs" in the new dashboard. Almost a 300% increase for a couple channels. We always assumed the old numbers were cumulative, but maybe not? Is there any explanation as to why we are seeing the difference? Anyone else notice this? We know the increases aren't actual installs within the 31 days shown below.

Thanks

New Analytics (11/1/2016):
Channel 1: 18,001 installs
Channel 2: 17,780 installs
Channel 3: 19,979 installs
Channel 4: 17,276 installs
Channel 5: 9,263 installs
Channel 6: 18,735 installs

Old Analytics (10/1/2016):
Channel 1: 6,255 installs
Channel 2: 12,801 installs
Channel 3: 7,329 installs
Channel 4: 8,196 installs
Channel 5: 3,736 installs
Channel 6: 11,217 installs

EnTerr

Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:49 pm

TripSmarter.Com wrote:
Question: We are noticing a HUGE increase in numbers between what was previously reported as "Installs" in the old dashboard and "Cumulative Installs" in the new dashboard. Almost a 300% increase for a couple channels. We always assumed the old numbers were cumulative, but maybe not? Is there any explanation as to why we are seeing the difference? Anyone else notice this? We know the increases aren't actual installs within the 31 days shown below.

Thanks
new v old
New Analytics (11/1/2016):
Channel 1: 18,001 installs
Channel 2: 17,780 installs
Channel 3: 19,979 installs
Channel 4: 17,276 installs
Channel 5: 9,263 installs
Channel 6: 18,735 installs

Old Analytics (10/1/2016):
Channel 1: 6,255 installs
Channel 2: 12,801 installs
Channel 3: 7,329 installs
Channel 4: 8,196 installs
Channel 5: 3,736 installs
Channel 6: 11,217 installs

It's just the opposite for me, the new "Cumulative Installs" is 4x smaller than the old one! Respectfully, WTF?
The old numbers were not cumulative, they were showing the current number that have it installed (i.e. total installs minus total uninstalls).

artesea

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Crash logs are great, but the 2 day delay is pretty useless for real time fixes. Especially when the issues I've been having only occur for users in other territories, so I can't directly replicate.
Any way to get real time info maybe on an unreleased app I can send to a few users via the private code?

EnTerr

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:09 am

artesea wrote:
Crash logs are great, but the 2 day delay is pretty useless for real time fixes. Especially when the issues I've been having only occur for users in other territories, so I can't directly replicate.

I think you are mis-expecting the purpose of the crash log summary - it's not to do real-time debugging. Nor can you do "real time fixes". There is also the moment of trying to drink water from a firehose (i.e. imagine 100,000 crashes happening). And also there is the concern about PII leaking through crash logs.

Any way to get real time info maybe on an unreleased app I can send to a few users via the private code?

Sure - send to capable users the bundle to side-load and ask them to forward you the console logs.

artesea

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:27 pm

EnTerr wrote:

Sure - send to capable users the bundle to side-load and ask them to forward you the console logs.

I've struggled to get most to do a simple copy and paste from a debug website I knocked up. Also doesn't help that Telnet is no longer available by default on Windows so you need to get them to install terminal software to get the logs

EnTerr

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:42 pm

artesea wrote:
EnTerr wrote:

I've struggled to get most to do a simple copy and paste from a debug website I knocked up. Also doesn't help that Telnet is no longer available by default on Windows so you need to get them to install terminal software to get the logs

That's why i said "capable" :). Yes, currently Roku process is reasonable only for in-house tests.
In theory, Roku support engineers could - if they please - fetch your app detailed logs by given channel# and device S/N. How you can make them reply to your emails however is a skill i haven't mastered. YMMV.

On a side note, installing telnet in Windows 10: https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-enable ... indows-10/
Putty will also do: https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/la ... /putty.exe - the .EXE alone will suffice.

Komag

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:04 pm

PurpleBug is super easy for getting console logs I would think:
http://belltown-roku.tk/PurpleBug