Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Baradanikto
Topic Author

Code Performance and Video Error

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:54 am

I'm building a channel from the SampleVideoPlayer.  I've run into two issues that have me stumped.

Issue 1:
A friend gave me permission to use some of his videos on my channel.  His videos are currently stored on YouTube.  I downloaded them using a free online service that seemed to work since I can play the videos locally.  However when I play them from my channel, I get the following debug output and the video does not play.

ButtonPressed
ButtonPressed
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  0
Video status:  0  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  66
Video status:  66  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  132
Video status:  132  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  198
Video status:  198  0
showHomeScreen | msg =  | index =  0
Unexpected event type:  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  264
Video status:  264  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  330
Video status:  330  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  66
Video status:  66  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  132
Video status:  132  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  198
Video status:  198  0
showHomeScreen | msg = startup progress | index =  264
Video status:  264  0
showHomeScreen | msg = Stream started. | index =  0
Unexpected event type:  20
showHomeScreen | msg = Format Detected | index =  1
Unexpected event type:  33
showHomeScreen | msg = Content contains no playable tracks. | index =  0
showHomeScreen | msg = malformed data | index = -5
Video request failure: -5  1
showHomeScreen | msg = Playback completed. | index =  0
Unexpected event type:  16
showHomeScreen | msg = end of playlist | index =  0
showHomeScreen | msg =  | index =  0
Screen closed
Button pressed:  1  0

In particular, the "Content contains no playable tracks" appears to be the root of the problem, but, I'm not sure how to correct it. The videos play correctly on my PC.

Issue 2:
I've got one category (leaf) that currently has three videos associated with it.  When moving from category to category, there's a noticeable pause in displaying the video image files (posters?).  There's also a pause when moving from each video using the remote.  I'm testing on a 3500R stick, so, I don't know if that's a limiting factor.  The images and videos are currently stored on Amazon's S3/Cloudfront system.

Lastly, can someone explain the purpose of <resultLength> and <endIndex> in the xml feed files?  I tried to find some doc on them, but, nothing explained their purpose.  It seems like all of the examples I've seen set both items to the same value when a category has multiple items.

Thanks for any help.
Windows desktop software for creating and managing MRSS, JSON, and FireTV feeds @ https://rrirower.wixsite.com/software. No Programming, JSON or MRSS knowledge required.

Baradanikto
Topic Author

Re: Code Performance and Video Error

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Some follow up....

I was able to resolve issue one.  I ran the video through Nero Recode and it produce an mp4 file that I was able to play through the Roku stick.  Now, my only problem is issue two, the performance is pretty poor when clicking on the screen.
Windows desktop software for creating and managing MRSS, JSON, and FireTV feeds @ https://rrirower.wixsite.com/software. No Programming, JSON or MRSS knowledge required.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Are your images sized properly? I'm not familiar with what screen types the SampleVideoPlayer code uses, but I know it can really slow things down if the Roku has to resize images.

-JT

Baradanikto
Topic Author

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 am

renojim...Thanks for your reply.

Thanks a good question.  I wasn't aware that there are restrictions on the size of the images in that context.  I'll have to look into it, but, I'm not sure that wold explain what I am seeing.  I've included some screenshots to try and explain it.

Getting to the first screen is fine.  There's no performance hiccup.

But, once I mouse to move right to "Club", there's a noticeable delay in filling in the images below the arrow ("V") that represent each video.  And, mousing right to left, left to right on each poster image also shows a noticeable delay.

Baradanikto
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 pm

renojim,

Thanks for the tip.  The image sizes were not what they needed to be (eg. 224 x 168).  This was the cause of the slow performance.  Once I resized them, I now see a much faster response to the remote clicks.