Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bjorna
Topic Author

HD1000 setup with Windows Vista

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:59 am

Hi,
I've had my HD1000 running well for a long time, but have now upgraded to a new computer, with Windows Vista, and I can't get things to work again. Hope all you knowledgable people out there can help?

I have ip address on the HD, and I have opened all possible firewalls on the PC to the HD. Folders are set to share, and I believe some other new options in Windows have been opened fully to allow the HD access.

I still get no network servers or network shares when I search, but I recently managed to at least get something, which is a catalog that shows up on the HD, below the setup and swap icons. What this, I'm not too sure about, it seems to be what is called the "Public" folder in Vista. When I copy a few music tracks there, the HD can browse artis and album, but does not see the actual MP3 file and cannot play anything. When I view shared folders on my PC, this public folder along with my shared music folder, which I want to access, shows up.

Any with similar problems or any with ideas :?: ?

BJ

bjorna
Topic Author

Update

Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:33 am

It seems no-one has been foolish enough to install Vista... I've perhaps come one step further thanks to some Microsoft information on:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... aring.mspx

By pointing Media Player 11 to my music folder, teh HD now finds the folder and after scanning it says that I have 8.500 or so files in it. I can browse the folder by artis, album, and so on, but whenever I reach the lowest level in the folder structure, there are no actual music files to find...

I still find no network shares in the setup, but this catalog shows up below Setup and Swap file in the main picture.

Again, any advice would be highly appreciated!

BJ

mlknez

Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:43 am

I have vista ultimate installed and have no problem sharing over smb. check your firewall settings

bjorna
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:12 am

That's promising! I have checked and even turned off all firewalls to make sure that's not the problem, but no help.

What puzzles me is that I can browse all the catalogs with all artists, but not see a single mp3 file...

BJ

soiaf

Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:30 am

Does Vista have a UPnP server built in?
Just guessing here, but this sounds more like you're accessing Vista via UPnP (but its not showing all your MP3s) rather than you're accessing via normal SMB.

bjorna
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:40 am

I am really not well versed in the technical lingo for these things, but I believe Vista comes with a UPnP server. When I view a network setup, there is a device listed as UPnP server, which I believe is the Windows Media Player 11, in fact.

In Vista, the "old way" I'm used to sharing seems not to be supported, so I'm not sure if I need to do some other setup when doing this using UPnP?

BJ