Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

xl8rguy
Topic Author

Is the HD1000 what I need?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:36 am

I have a ROKU Soundbridge and it works great. I have all my music stored on a remote computer and it streams wirelessly to my home theater.

I'm looking for a solution that works the same way for my video. I have about 250 DVDs that I would like to rip and stream to my HDTV. I'd like to scan thru my collection and play movies remotely. I have found some very expensive solutions but it seems that the HD1000 along with Mplay will do it for a lot less.

If this works, can I stream VOB files? Or will it have to be another format? And what about audio? Will the Dolby/DTS carry over as well?

I'd really appreciate some insight on this. THanks fellow Roku'ers.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Is the HD1000 what I need?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:17 am

xl8rguy wrote:
If this works, can I stream VOB files? Or will it have to be another format? And what about audio? Will the Dolby/DTS carry over as well?

VOB files play fine. With MPlay, you can just select the folder or ISO file and hit play. The DVD feature will playback automatically along with chapter navigation. There is currently no support for DVD menu navigation, though. Dolby Digital also works fine. DTS, unfortunately, is not supported for video on the HD1000.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the MPlay website (see my signature) and forums.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

xl8rguy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:59 am

Thanks for the feedback. What do you recommend as the best format to rip? VOB? ISO? Or is there another that works just as well without losing audio or video quality but at the same time is manageable as far as filesize.

EddieVan

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:43 am

You are aware that the HD1000 is discontinued.... yes?

dgburns

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:54 pm

xl8rguy wrote:
What do you recommend as the best format to rip? VOB? ISO?

I'd start by ripping to .ISO, since MPlay supports that. If you rip to VOB now, and you want to later have them in ISO's, you'd either have to rip again or author ISO's. Easy to rip the VOB's out of an ISO (WinRAR will no problem, treats an ISO as if it was a big zip file) later if you need to or want to temporarily.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2