Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

davechainey
Topic Author

No ip address

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:48 am

Suddenly my HD1000 can't find an ip address. It was playing music, hung, and when I rebooted no ip address! I've tried the factory reset, and reboot but to no avail. I'd just upgraded to the latest Zone Alarm, but I don't think this is a factor as it doesn't pick up an address with ZA turned off.
None of the other computers or the router can see the unit.
Any thoughts, anyone?

DaveC

jm_maclaren

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:03 am

I assume that the system does boot and that you get the desktop and setup.
If so, you couldd attach a serial cable, reboot with a pc attched running versaterm or some such terminal emulator and try to log on to the box. If you can get on them you can try the network commands. ifup eth0 is the commnad to bring the interface up. Post any errors here and we can try to diagnose. Also ifconfig -a shows more info.

Before that I'd swap cables and look to see if the ethernet shows any lights. If the card is bad you could also try using the usb port for a wireless or wired adaptor.

Good luck

davechainey
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:48 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the thoughts. I had switched cables and the ethernet light is on. I also tried a software re-install. The system does boot to the desktop setup.
I've been waiting for a good reason to ditch the HD1000, and this might be it. The Netgear EVA8000 looks interesting, and it should be out pretty soon.

DaveC