Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

alkeown
Topic Author

Problems After PS Fix

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:44 pm

I sent my HD1000 in to Pyramid Audio and got the PS and motherboard fixes. My motherboard had a failed voltage regulator.

I've had all kinds of startup problems and have worked through most of them. My hardware is Ver. B and I'm using firmware 2.0.34 (35 didn't work well at all). I upgraded MPlay to the latest version. Before I had the box fixed I was running 2.0.28 with the matching version of MPlay. Everything had been okay for about a year and a half.

I started out having IP address problems and used the static address fix I found here. Everything seemed to be working, but now when I use MPlay, the picture freezes every 9 to 10 minutes....just like clockwork.

The funny thing is, that when I first got the HD1000 I had a very similar problem complete with the 9 to 10 minute problem. The problem was fixed when I upgraded the firmware and MPlay (along with the -FixTS command).

When I upgraded to 2.0.34 I reset the unit to factory settings. Was this correct? I remember resetting the unit when I went to 2.0.28, but I didn't see any specific instructions to do it with 2.0.34.

This forum has kept my HD1000 working for a couple years and I'd like to get at least another couple of years out of it.
Al K

Burkhardi

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:37 pm

You might look around for a version of 2.0.28 and see if it runs ok and then go from there? .35 should have worked. It should default to factory settings when you flash the firmware.

If its like clock work, could it be a network issue?

I need to look at some of the old posts, but some one had an issues like yours (I think) and it was a setting in the router/switch.

Is it only Mplay that has the issue? if you run Hexradio or SlimRoku can you get past the 9 min mark? How about "Listen" (the built in music app called Sonata); will it play music for a long time? An acid test that I try to use is to run SlimRoku with it pulling music off my network share and then "hide" the app and run a slide show off my network share and let it run over night. 95% of the time, it's still chugging along after 12hrs

Contact The Endless or Morcello (sp?) and see what they suggest, perhaps there is a bug log you can check or a coredump file?
Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

soiaf

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:26 pm

It might be an issue relating to the PhotoBridge rescanning for SMB shares. It runs a script every ten minutes called smbremount (which rescans/remounts shares).
Don't know if this is defnitely your problem, but if your network is a bit unpredictable, then this may be a good candidate (as it corresponds to the timings you're seeing).
Easiest thing to do is move the entry out of the cron directory (which is used for regular system events etc.).
So from a command line prompt (via telnet) this would be something like
mv /etc/cron.d/smbremount /etc/smbremount.backup

Or I could upload a script to do it for you if you want.

Burkhardi

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:24 am

Hi Al!
When did you reflash from 2.0.28 to 2.0.34?
Also, if Soaif is right, perhaps 2.0.36 may help since it deals with SMB issues (please correct me if I am wrong Soaif).

And I totaly agree with you, these forums are wonderful and so helpful in keeping our HD1000's going!

Regards and good luck, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

soiaf

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:15 pm

2.0.36 did modify the way SMB works slightly - unfortunately though I couldn't say that it would necessarily help you (it might/it mightn't).
I do think it would be worth trying to remove this auto rescan script, it can always be replaced if it doesn't fix your problem.

soiaf

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:18 pm

I've put together a script to make it easier to disable the SMB rescanning.

http://members.upc.ie/p.mc.quillan/smbrescan.zip

Simply unzip the file somewhere where you can see the files from the PhotoBridge desktop e.g. a network share or a compact flash card.
Then click the file named disableSMBscan
This will disable the rescan of the SMB shares that the PhotoBridge runs every ten minutes.
It might be worthwhile doing a complete reboot after running this script.

Just in case you wish to restore the file (for whatever reason) I've included a script to reverse the change made. In this case simply run the file enableSMBscan

alkeown
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:03 am

Thanks for all of the help. I finally reloaded 2.0.34 and DID NOT reset to factory settings. Everything is working and I have no idea why.

Just to make it perfectly clear for everyone, the PS repair revived my dead HD1000. It in no way has been related to my problems. The title of this thread might appear that I was not happy with the repair. That is not the case at all.

With the PS repair and help from this forum (and evidently blind luck) I am once again enjoying my HD1000 for viewing recorded HD programs.
Last edited by alkeown on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al K

alkeown
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:06 am

[quote="soiaf"]It runs a script every ten minutes called smbremount (which rescans/remounts shares).

This is the first time I've had even a hint at what might give me such a timing problem. Thanks.

Also thanks for the script. I'm a little shy about trying it now that I'm up and running, but I'll definitly save it for later.
Al K

Burkhardi

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:09 pm

GREAT AL!!! 8)

Good to see your back in the saddle again!

Best regards, Matt

soiaf

Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:00 pm

alkeown wrote:
Also thanks for the script. I'm a little shy about trying it now that I'm up and running, but I'll definitly save it for later.

Great news that you're back up and running! I wouldn't bother trying to use the script now that you're going again - its really only for use if you have a problem (rather than being a script to pre-empt a problem).

alkeown
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:45 pm

My problem is back where the picture freezes every ten minutes. I ran the script that soiaf wrote, but it didn't help. I tried running it with and without a reboot.

I've made no changes from the setup that was working fine. I'm running version 2.0.36. I thought I had downloaded 2.0.34, and didn't even notice the version ID on the screen.

This is getting really old and I might just have to give up on the HD1000. Does anyone know how to get a copy of 2.0.28. That's what I was using before I had the power supply fixed.
Al K

Burkhardi

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:30 pm

alkeown wrote:
My problem is back where the picture freezes every ten minutes. I ran the script that soiaf wrote, but it didn't help. I tried running it with and without a reboot.

I've made no changes from the setup that was working fine. I'm running version 2.0.36. I thought I had downloaded 2.0.34, and didn't even notice the version ID on the screen.

This is getting really old and I might just have to give up on the HD1000. Does anyone know how to get a copy of 2.0.28. That's what I was using before I had the power supply fixed.

Try this and you have to use the compact flash method (install this file and this file only on a CF card and incert it to the HD1000, then press and hold the power button to perform a soft reset). It will not show a display for about 2-5 min whilst its doing this. Then do a "reset to factory defualts" via setup.

http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/2.0.28/formatup.rok

Let us know if this works for you, Matt

Good luck grasshopper! May the force be with you during the firmware update (or downdate...LOL)

alkeown
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:22 am

Thanks Matt,

I got to watch one file with no picture freezing. Unfortunately, I tried two things to fix the problem and have no idea which one did it. I disconnected the DSL line into my router so that the only things connected were my computer and the HD1000. I also reset(?) the router by disconnecting and reconnecting the power.

I'll probably go back to 2.0.28 if I continue to have the problem. I think I need to install the older version of Mplay also.
Al K

Burkhardi

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:42 am

alkeown wrote:
Thanks Matt,

I got to watch one file with no picture freezing. Unfortunately, I tried two things to fix the problem and have no idea which one did it. I disconnected the DSL line into my router so that the only things connected were my computer and the HD1000. I also reset(?) the router by disconnecting and reconnecting the power.

I'll probably go back to 2.0.28 if I continue to have the problem. I think I need to install the older version of Mplay also.

No prob Al!
I hate troubleshooting things like this, its so hard to know what item it was. I would guess the router power cycle is what did it, but I am just guessing. Well, if it happens again, bounce the router first and then see if it works. I guess the DSL line could have a not of traffic coming in that was boggin the router down with packets or the router was having packet issues. Check your router settings, what router is it?
Baby steps..We'll get ya there! 8)

soiaf

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:10 am

alkeown wrote:

Sorry to hear your problems back. I suppose the good aspect of the script not making any difference is that would indicate that the problems not to do with the Roku rescanning the network.
If I have time over the weekend I'll have a look to see if theres any other scheduled type jobs on the PhotoBridge that may cause problems (though I don't think there is).
Of course the problem may be another computer/system on your network that is flooding the network or is slowing down the machine that you're getting the content from. But as Matt says, small steps are needed to try to diagnose problems like that!