Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mrbelk
Topic Author

Linksys WUSB11v4 Compatible?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:26 pm

OK,

So I've had my Rev.B HD1000 (upgraded to v2.0.10) since Friday evening and until now have been hardwired via a long CAT5 cable straight into my router. This is an unacceptable long term solution, since the cable snakes upstairs from my entertainment center to my loft office. As an interim solution, until I can find a way to run CAT5 from my office to my entertainment center "in-wall," I went down to my friendly BestBuy and picked up a Linksys WUSB11 802.11b USB adapter.

Now, the supported hardware list mentions that versions 2.5, 2.8, and 3.0 are not compatible, but that version 2.6 is. Well, my adapter says WUSB11v4 on the back of it, right next to the MAC address and SerNo barcodes. Before I pull my hair out at home in a possibly futile effort to get this thing working, I'm hoping that someone could shed some light. If it's definitely not compatible, then I will return it and get some other USB adapter that is (although, the 802.11b USB adapters are increasingly difficult to find in retail locations).

Thanks,
-MrB

Bonzojim

LAN connection to the HD1000

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:04 pm

I wasn't having much luck with a wireless B connection to the HD1000, so I used a HomePlug connection instead. That gives you 14 MHz of bandwidth vs. the theoretical 11 MHz on Wireless B, and avoids the wireless drop-out problems that I was having. Connection is Router to HomePlug adapter plugged into the wall, then at the HD1000, another HomePlug adaptor plugged into the wall to the Ethernet port on the HD1000. This connection works for everything except streaming video. For my ripped DVDs, I have an NAS at the HD1000 end of the network so that the streaming video only has to travel from the NAS directly into the HD1000. I also use a temporary wired connection when copying DVD files to the NAS from my PC, as it otherwise takes forever.

mrbelk
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:15 pm

I considered the poweline solution, also. Where did you pick yours up? I presume that you also have a small hub/switch at the Roku end that you plug your NAS and Roku into?

Currently, I am only going to use the HD1000 for photos and mp3, but I might get into DVD ripping later. In this case, the powerline stuff might fit my bill perfectly.

-MrB

Bonzojim

Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:26 pm

I am using the Belkin HomePlug adaptors, mostly because the Belkin guy was standing there at CompUSA when I bought them. All the major networking companies have them thong.

jwulf

Linksys WUSB11v4

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Hey, I picked up a Linksys WUSB11 version 4 for $5 at Compusa. Anyone had any luck with this version with the PhotoBridge?

Thanks,

J.