Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bzimpf2003

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:14 pm

Couple of things-

Yes I have wireless working with an MA111-older 802.11b I found at CompUSA.

I have WEP enabled-why? Because it's enabled on my wireless network for some semblance of security anyway.

The point being, if your network is WEP enabled, the Roku must be, if it's not, the Roku must not. They gots to be the same

System information NEVER shows I have an IP address-ignore it with the beta.

The critical factor re: USB wireless is that the port supports only USB1.1. Finding an adapter is a pain in the butt, and doesn't povide much bandwidth.

There is no D-Link DW-111-I'm guessing you mean the DWL122.

Your no DHCP address is the problem-Verify your WAP54G setting for SSID-WEP-Network Name etc are identical to the 122.

If you get shares showing up in the Setup>NetworkShares on the Roku, you need to put a check next to the ones you want to "mount"

Good Luck,

BZ
BZ
HD1K RevB

evaughan
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:36 am

Thanks soaif! Appreciate the help. That worked, and now I can see the Mac shares on the HD1000, although the folders aren't quite working exactly right.

Also installed hexRadio--that is awesome, and seems to really improve the value of the HD1000 IMO.

So to recap, with the help from those on the forum:

-Wireless networking in its current incarnation should just be given up on. Using a wireless bridge (if you can't cable), works perfectly.
- Went back to the beta level software so we can use hexRadio for streaming radio to the device. This is a very important feature for us, because we live in a location where we cannot receive any radio signals over the air.
- Apple iMac, iPhoto, and Windows sharing is working well.

Love the concept, and the functionality, but what a nightmare to setup, and a dearth of documentation. If it weren't for this forum, this box would already have been a refund.

Thanks again all.

evaughan
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:38 am

BZ---you're right about the D-Link.

But not correct about the WEP setting, in fact as someone suggested here, the HD1000 will NOT work if you have WEP disabled. You MUST turn WEP on on your network, or it will not connect. That is a strange requirement, IMO. It's the same with adding shares. My userids on the Apple iMac were all setup without any passwords, but Roku insists that they have a password. By adding a password to the iMac users, I was able to mount those shares.

RokuPatrick

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:25 am

evaughan wrote:
My userids on the Apple iMac were all setup without any passwords, but Roku insists that they have a password. By adding a password to the iMac users, I was able to mount those shares.
FYI, The NULL password issue only affect OSX

evaughan
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:47 am

RokuPatrick wrote:
evaughan wrote:
My userids on the Apple iMac were all setup without any passwords, but Roku insists that they have a password. By adding a password to the iMac users, I was able to mount those shares.
FYI, The NULL password issue only affect OSX

Thanks Patrick---by the way, what are the plans for the "Beta" to become the current release?

---also, since it seems that ROKU is familiar with the issue for OSX, can you please document it loud and clear?

As well as the requirement for WEP on a wireless connection? You would save your customers a great deal of problems.

RokuPatrick

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:39 am

The plans are to release at least one more beta.

Known networking issues are documented here:
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/RokuHD1 ... Issues.pdf

Tjackson0

Arg!

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:03 pm

I wish I had read this before buying a WUSB11. It doesn't seem that anyone has this device working from what I have read. I am getting the same symptoms as described in this thread - "Error starting WLAN0 - NO DHCP" if I try to start wireless after the PB is running, and the "Loading OS" screen freezes on me if I try reboot the PB with the USB NA attached.

ARG! I say again. I am trying to get a cheap G bridge on ebay to just put this to rest, but what a pain in the buttocks.