Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

beatriziya
Topic Author

performance of S-video and VGA

Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:49 am

What is the difference between the functionality and performance of S-video and VGA? My new laptop doesn't have S-video out whereas my old one did (not that I ever used it). Is this something I should be bothered about? What is the difference between it and the standard VGA monitor cable in terms of functionality and performance? I'm thinking about playing DVDs through my laptop on my new LCD tv. What is ideally the best way to do this?
Last edited by beatriziya on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burkhardi

Re: performance of S-video and VGA

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:56 am

beatriziya wrote:
What is the difference between the functionality and performance of S-video and VGA? My new laptop doesn't have S-video out whereas my old one did (not that I ever used it). Is this something I should be bothered about? What is the difference between it and the standard VGA monitor cable in terms of functionality and performance? I'm thinking about playing DVDs through my laptop on my new LCD tv. What is ideally the best way to do this?

The VGA will look better then S-Video.
Where does the PhotoBridge fit in? Are you using it now verse the laptop?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

johnpeterson1982

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:19 am

S-video is a low-quality, low-definition analog video signal from the days of old boob-tube TVs. It cannot go above 1024x768 in resolution, and all the data is jumbled together in one Chroma channel, which gives a fuzzy image.

VGA is a high-quality analog signal that transmits color data in three separate channels, Red Green and Blue. And two other channels for H-sync and V-sync. MUCH higher resolution than S-video, much clearer image.

To connect to an LCD HDTV, I prefer HDMI or DVI (both use the same digital video signal).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

san antonio bariatric surgery | adirondack chair | premium sms service provider
Last edited by johnpeterson1982 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoloMKXXVIII

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:28 am

HDMI
DVI
Component / VGA
S-Video
Composite
Etch-a-sketch

Use the highest connection on the list that you can.