Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wyzard

Can't get network share...

Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:08 am

Good morning.

I just hooked up my Roku. I'm running through a Belkin Wireless Router (54g) but have the Roku plugged directly into the router.

I have firewall software running on my main computer that I'm trying to share with. I've added the Roku IP address and done all other things I can think of to get a connection but with no luck. I can see in the log that the Roku is coming in, but I'm getting server messages on the Roku.

Do I really need to disable my firewall software in order to use the Roku?

Also, can I just have a main folder shared (i.e., Media) that has picutre, music, etc. subfolders, or do I need to share each individual folder under that main folder?

Thanks.

Messiah

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:35 am

I use Sygate Personal Firewall Pro and simply had to add the Roku IP address to the allow all rule. Also made sure I set the same IP address to be always allocated to the Roku by my DHCP server

wyzard

Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:24 am

I'm trying to use the Trend Micro Internet Security Suite. I can get the Roku noticed when using Zone Alarm, but not when using Trend Micro.

Anyone know if this is an issue?

Or do I need to set up some special rule?

Thanks for the help.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:28 am

Also, can I just have a main folder shared (i.e., Media) that has picutre, music, etc. subfolders, or do I need to share each individual folder under that main folder?

In Windows, when you share a folder, all of the subfolders are automatically shared as subfolders with it, unless you specifically configure them otherwise.

TheEndless