Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wyzard

Getting videos to stream to Roku

Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:35 am

Good afternoon.

Is there anything special that I need to do to get videos to stream to my Roku?

I've got them sitting in a folder, but when i try to play them, it says it is unable to do so.

What format do I need to have them in (thought it was MPEG2). I had some AVIs that I thought I converted correctly, but is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:51 pm

Your files need to be MPEG2-TS. You could use VLC and transcode from AVI (or whatever) to MPEG2-TS. I haven't yet tried this, but am hoping to soon because I have some AVIs I want to be able to view.

See this other thread that may help:

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=246

wyzard

Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:08 pm

What's VLC and where can I get it from?

Thanks.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm

You can download it from http://videolan.org/vlc/
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

The following steps usually work for me when converting from AVI to MPEG TS:
    Select File | Open File...
    Click Browse... on the File tab and select the AVI you want to convert.
    Check Stream output at the bottom of the Open... dialog
    Click Settings...
    On the Stream output dialog, check File and enter a filename for the TS
    Select MPEG TS under Encapsulation Method
    Check Video Codec and select mp2v (bitrate: 3072)
    Check Audio Codec and select mpga
    Click OK to close the Stream output dialog
    Click OK to close the Open... dialog
    Let VLC do its thing...

This works for me probably 85% of the time, although sometimes I have trouble with the audio. If anyone knows why this might be, I'd love some input.

Hope this helps...

TheEndless
Last edited by TheEndless on Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Art Varga

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:48 pm

Thanks for the direction on VLC. However. after I follow the steps you outlined, what next? It appears the software is doing the transcoding but I cant find a new file after its done. Should I be looking for a file with a TS extension on it?

TheEndless

Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:53 pm

The output file is the one you specified in the "On the Stream output dialog, check File and enter a filename for the TS" step (this specified file should have a .TS extension).

TheEndless

Art Varga

Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:54 am

Thanks - that worked! Does anyone have any recommendations on optimim VLC settings for video quality. When I got my first video clip to play on the ROKU, there was a lot of pixilation. The best settings combo I've found so far is:

2v codec
2084 bit rate
.5 Scale

The quality is decent but there's a definate degradation from the original AVI file.

TheEndless

Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:50 am

.5 scale means that when it transcodes the video, it's reducing it to half it's original resolution (ie. original 640x480 would be scaled down to 320x240). So, the quality of you're video should look considerably better if you use a scale of 1.

The bitrate is important, too. The higher the bitrate, the better the transcoded video will look (and the larger the file size). For reference, standard bitrate for DVD, I believe, is around 9800. I've had good results in VLC with bitrates between 3000 and 5000.

TheEndless