Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bluefin
Topic Author

SHARES Question: "read permission denied"

Thu May 05, 2005 9:02 pm

I just bought a HD1000 and I have been trying to access the files on my shares. So far I have my HD1000 successfully sees my shares in the setup, but when I click on each share, I get this "user/password OK but read permission denied." I am running XP pro and I am guessing this is some sort of setting that I needs to be turned on or off. Any suggestions??? Thx in advance for your consideration.
bluefin

ukor

Sun May 08, 2005 8:15 pm

Does the user that you are using to log on to the XP share have permissions to access the files? Check the security permissions on the XP share/folder.

bluefin
Topic Author

Mon May 09, 2005 5:06 pm

I am not using a username and password. I have two users on my XP box and neither of them are password protected. In the roku setup I have not username and passwords to accesss the shares, that is why the "user/pass ok" part of the messege is puzzling to me.
bluefin

JIcemanL

Mon May 09, 2005 5:14 pm

bluefin wrote:
I am not using a username and password. I have two users on my XP box and neither of them are password protected. In the roku setup I have not username and passwords to accesss the shares, that is why the "user/pass ok" part of the messege is puzzling to me.

Sounds like the roku is accessing the xp box using the guest account. The guest account isn't attached to any group in the XP version of windows (use to be part of the users group) you could try granting read permission to the guest account on the shares (may also have to grant it on the folder in windows too(security tab in folder properties)

All just a guess mind you.

JIcemanL

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon May 09, 2005 5:16 pm

bluefin wrote:

Give this a try:
  • Open Windows Explorer
  • click on Tools -> Folder Options
  • Switch to the "View" tab
  • Scroll to the end of the list under Advanced Settings
  • make sure "Use simple file sharing" is checked.
TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

bluefin
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2005 7:06 pm

Simple file sharing is checked. I think that I may have a problem with my router. I will post an update once I switch out some hardware. So far I am not super concerned.
bluefin

ArtK

XP Security setting

Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:16 am

Give this a try:

This problem is caused when the "RestrictAnonymous" LSA registry value in XP gets changed from its default value of "0" (disabled) to "1" (enabled). This registry value can be located by opening regedit and going to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]

A more user friendly way of adjusting this same setting is to go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy --> Local Policies --> Security Options. Make sure the following setting is set to "Disabled":
-- Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares

Art

bluefin
Topic Author

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:17 am

ArtK

Thanks for the detail response. For now, I have determined that I had some hardware issues and I am able to share my drives right now. I will try your solution to solve one more issue that I am having. In my network, I have shared my ":F" drive, but I am still having permission issues with it. Thanks again.

Bluefin
bluefin