Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Craig
Topic Author

Network Set-Up Question

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:04 am

I have recently purchase a Photobridge and connected it to my TV last night and upgrraded the software to 2.0.28. Now I want to get it connected to my network. I have Mac Mini that I had planned to connect to the HD1000 via Netgear(FS605) 4 port switch, but my Mac is getting 2 IP Address one from the Netgear switch and one from a Linksys wireless router via the Mac's Airport card. Will the Mac getting 2 IP address cause problems with connecting the HD1000 to the network. Is there another way I should be connecting to the network. I wanted to use to my advantage that the HD1000 and Mac Mini are in the same location and can do a wired connection instead of a wireless connection for the HD1000.
Last edited by Craig on Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgburns

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:07 am

I would turn off DHCP server on one or the other (Linksys or Netgear).

Craig
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:47 am

If I disable DHCP on the Netgear switch which connects the Mac Mini to the Photobridge will I still be able to get the Photobridge to see shares on the Mac Mini eventhough it will be using the IP Address assigned by the wireless router. I wasn't sure if the Photobridge would get an IP address if I turn it off on the Netgear.

RokuPatrick

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:56 am

It certainly shouldn't be getting an IP address from a switch that doesn't have a DHCP server in it. And the MAC shouldn't be getting two addresses via DHCP ever, it should jsut use whichever server (if there are more than one) responds first to its request.

How do you know it's getting two IP addresses, and what are the addresses that it is getting?

dgburns

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:40 pm

I don't know why the Netgear (a 5 port swith according to http://www.netgear.com/pdf_docs/fs605v2 ... pt2003.pdf) would give out IP addresses, it's just a switch!

It's hard to picture your setup here in text. If you could draw a pciture somehow of how things are physically connected that would help.

It sounds like you saying your MAC essentially has two ethernet interfaces, 1 hardwired to the Linksys (or netgear) and the other to the Airport? And it's getting IP's from both sides?

If that is the case, if I were you, I would hardwire the ROKU to the same side of the MAC as the Linksys/netgear, not the Airport side.