Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Craig
Topic Author

Can't Connect Photobridge to Network

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:57 pm

I have tried connecting using Netgear switch and direct connect of Mac Mini to Roku via crossover cable. Netiher allowed the Photobridge to see the network and get an IP Address. Any ideas?

RokuPatrick

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:17 pm

You need a DHCP server. For most people, this is part of their "router". Into what does your dls/cable modem plug?

Craig
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:49 pm

Making Progress. I found a long cat 5 cable and connected in to my router and to the switch which also has the Photobridge connected to and I now have an IP Address. Now I need a solution to replacing the 25 ft cat 5 cable. I thought I could use a wireless bridge(WET54G) but it only has one cat5 port and I want 2 one for photobridge and one for Mac Mini to have a wired connection for video. Is there another option that would give me at least 2 ports. Thanks for your help.

dgburns

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:04 pm

All inidcations I've seen (here at at AVS Forum) are that you will be dissatisfied with the performance of trying to stream HD files over wireless. HDTV needs ~20megabits/sec (plus the ethernet overhead data) so even a 54g connection under ideal conditions (direct line of sight) would be stressed.

If you've got HD (i.e. 720p or 1080i) content you intend to try watching via your Roku, stick with the wired connection. If you're only intending to do 480i (i.e. DVD) resolution, 54g wireless would probably be just fine.