Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Val
Topic Author

New WiFI network set-up question

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:46 am

Hi Folks,
Can any one help me please (I did look trough the forum trying to find the answers to my questions bu did not find a complete answer, so here we go
I have Roku HD1000 (software release, version 2.0.33), Pentium 4 Windows 2000 PC (modem, USB ports, NO Ethernet port), Apple PowerBook G 4 (Mac OS Version 1.3, AirPort Extreme (firmware version 3.1.2b3, Ethernet card). Access to Internet trough PC (dial modem). I would like to set up WiFi network for file sharing (primarily JPEG 2-3mb picture files)so I can use Roku to access picture files stored on my PC and Mac. What hardware (any suggestions on model numbers are welcome) do I need to get (router, wireless cards etc). And what do I connect to what (for example do I connect router to PC or to Roku (via Ethernet CAT5 cable or wireless) Any advise will be greatly appreciated (please include as much details as possible)

Thank you for any help!

dgburns

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:22 pm

Probably the SIMPLEST would be to get a wireless card for the PC that's compatible with your AIRPORT. Then you could setup Internet Connection Sharing on the XP machine, set it for autodial, and any time either the PC or the Mac want to access the internet the XP box would dial and you'd be live.

You'd need to check the support docs (the FAQ I think) to find out which wireless cards are compatible with the Roku.

Luck!
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

Val
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:21 am

Thank you for your response dgburns! My understanding is that Photobridge would not work unless it gets an IP address (either from the DHCP router or Static IP). In your scenario I would need to dial to the Internet POP to get DHCP address assigned by the services provider. I am not sure if the PC and Photobridge can have the same IP address. I would also try to eliminate the need to go to Internet every time I would want to share files on the WI FI network. I guess I would need to get a router or the access point with DHCP capability to get this to work. So, what I am asking is the best scenario for new WiFi (assuming No Internet). And again, as much details as possible (makes, models and what connecting to what). I guess If any one on the forum get HD1000 working with their WiFi they can just describe their set up-since I did not limit myself to any particular cards or routers, so I can buy ones that works for sure.

Thanks again for any advise,

Val P

dgburns

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:14 pm

Configure all the machines that have ethernet to use static IP, then you wouldn't have to worry about if the dialup is on or not.

For example:
192.168.0.1 WinXP machine
192.168.0.2 Mac
192.168.0.3 Roku
192.168.0.4 Airport

In the ethernet configuration of each machine, set them to point to 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway.

I don't know anything about the Airport Extreme, so I'm guessing at some of this.

As for buying a router, just looking at the FAQ on supported network equipment the Roku folks seem to have an affinity for DLink stuff. I have an old DI-614+ and it works great. And even when the cablemodem is down, my Roku still sees all my local shares and can play content.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2