Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

crappyguy
Topic Author

Need help with my wireless network. Please Help!

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:46 am

I have a few DVD movies on my harddrive that I want to stream to my TV in another room wirelessly. I have a Linksys WRT54GS router (802.11G with speed booster) and an 802.11G PCI card on my computer (WMP54GS). When I go to view a DVD it gets really jerky and freezes only a few seconds in to the film and locks up the Roku so I have to reset it.

However, when I run a big long ugly cable from the PC to the router it plays flawlessly. Does anyone know what I can do to get my DVD to run wirelessly.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I'm running the lastest beta for the Photobridge. My signal strength is almost always "Good". Same problems using MPlay or built in player.

dgburns

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:07 am

A vast majority of wireless setups aren't going to be able to sustain the throughput necessary to playback DVD's. This is evidenced by your "it plays flawlessly" comment when hardwired, which tells me the wireless is the weak link.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

jcrb

Re: Need help with my wireless network. Please Help!

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:48 pm

crappyguy wrote:
My signal strength is almost always "Good". Same problems using MPlay or built in player.

I suggest that you check from your computer if there are any other wireless networks that it can see and if so that you make sure that you are not using the same channel they are using. You will want to be as far away from any other channels you see as possible, so if you see someone on 6, don't use 7 use 1 or 11. You should also also see that the antenna are set parallel to each other.

But of course if you can run a cable then why would you want to use wireless?