Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mjl
Topic Author

CF card & Internet Browser

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:29 am

I ordered a HD 1000 and expect delivery in a couple days. I currently own several SD cards but do I need a CF memory card for an intial update? If so how much memory for the CF card is necessary/recommended? Are the HD1000's being shipped with updated software that allow the network updating? Are all with units ordered now with 128ram?

I've read that internet browser is in the works, what's the timeframe for that update?

Looking forward to using the photobridge but reading alot of the posts on this forum are bad for marketing. I guess its human nature to vent and post gripes then to spend time complimenting. Thanks!

dgburns

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:03 am

I just bought an HD1500 via Newegg.com. It was a Rev B with 128MB RAM. It came with the 1.5 software, I had to upgrade first via CF. My impression from reading other posts here is that you have to upgrade the firmware via CF, other card types are supported. There are instructions in the Beta area. I used a 64MB CF card that I had handy.

FWIW...the Gallery Collection stuff that comes with the 1500 is on a 256MB CF card. For someone getting this model, in order to ugrade firmware, seems to me you should be able to put the formatup.roku on that card and do your update, but I didn't try that. All the GC stuff also comes with CD as's backup, so even if you hosed the content on the GC card using it to upgrade, you could easily restore it from the CD's.

I've had problems, but in general once upgraded to the .34 beta software and using MPlay for MPEG playback, I've been very happy with my Roku. I just need to go spend the $3500 or so to get the true HDTV I went, I watching so far in SVideo on a 36" CRT.

You most often find few praises for a product in support forums like this, but there ARE some here! Most people who post to forums like this are only doing so because they have a problem or want more features/capabilities from either the Roku itself or the 3rd party apps others have developed. That 3rd party capability is unique to the Roku vs. the other media streamers on the market, which was a big factor in why I chose it vs. the others.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: CF card & Internet Browser

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:53 am

mjl wrote:
I've read that internet browser is in the works, what's the timeframe for that update?

Where'd you read that? There is an app called VncSix (see the Third-Party forum) that is coded in such a way as to make it easier to use the browser on your computer via VNC, but I'm not aware of any web browsers being written specifically for the Roku.

As for the firmware, 2.0 is still in beta, so all shipping units are shipped with 1.5.18. The 2.0 software has a network upgrade feature, but 1.5.18 does not, so you'd have to do a traditional CF upgrade to 2.0 at least once.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mjl
Topic Author

Internet browsing

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:07 am

On Roku's website in the HD1000's FAQ's here's a copy of the question and reply:

Will you support general Internet browsing, and when?
We are planning upgrades for the PhotoBridge that we feel our customers will be very pleased with. However, we can't promise the availability of specific new features

CaminoFrancisco

Re: Internet browsing

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:08 am

TheEndless wrote:
mjl wrote:

Where'd you read that? There is an app called VncSix (see the Third-Party forum) that is coded in such a way as to make it easier to use the browser on your computer via VNC, but I'm not aware of any web browsers being written specifically for the Roku.
TheEndless

mjl wrote:
On Roku's website in the HD1000's FAQ's here's a copy of the question and reply:

Will you support general Internet browsing, and when?
We are planning upgrades for the PhotoBridge that we feel our customers will be very pleased with. However, we can't promise the availability of specific new features

Wow, I'd say you read that in the most optimistic way possible... ;-)
Camino
HD1000 Rev "B"

Wulgaru

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:39 pm

"We are planning upgrades for the PhotoBridge that we feel our customers will be very pleased with. However, we can't promise the availability of specific new features" = Yes???

dgburns

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:22 pm

Wulgaru wrote:
"We are planning upgrades for the PhotoBridge that we feel our customers will be very pleased with. However, we can't promise the availability of specific new features" = Yes???

Not sure I'd say that exactly translates to "Yes", but I'd be pleased with such a capability. BUT, I think it would be very kludgey, without a keyboard and mouse. I realize the navigation keys could substitute for mouse, but FOR ME, trying to surf the web without a keyboard would be next to pointless.

NOW...if such a browser came at a time that the Roku's USB port gained support for say, a USB to Bluetooth adapter, I'd be jumping on the bandwagon right away!

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

Wulgaru

Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:47 am

dgburns wrote:
Not sure I'd say that exactly translates to "Yes", but I'd be pleased with such a capability.

Hence the string of question marks... :)

I do agree, though, that the features you mention would be nice!

andy

Re: CF card & Internet Browser

Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:36 am

TheEndless wrote:
mjl wrote:

Where'd you read that? There is an app called VncSix (see the Third-Party forum) that is coded in such a way as to make it easier to use the browser on your computer via VNC

You can learn more about VncSix or download it here:

http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html

First you install a free VNC server on a computer with a web browser. Then you connect to it from your PhotoBridge with VncSix. You can click on links, move the mouse around, and even type with an on-screen keyboard.

Note: The original version of this post had a typo. All you need is a PC with a web browser and the VNC server installed. If the PC where you store your music already has a web browser (almost guaranteed) then just install a free VNC server from http://realvnc.com or http://tightvnc.com on that PC, then you can connect from the PB that has VncSix installed. It's that easy! Then you can browse the web from your PhotoBridge.

I set up a profile in Firefox with a big font for easy reading on the TV screen. I also put together a basic web page on the local hard drive with links to sites that work well viewed on the TV.
Last edited by andy on Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

mjl
Topic Author

VNC

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:37 pm

Sounds great! Now that I think of it, the IT Department of the company I work for uses VNC software to remotely repair, review problems on PCs. So using it on the Roku you control a home networked PC's to run any software, etc... via your TV and the PB. You discuss "VNC server" and "web server"... I wouldn't need an additional networked PC running the VNC program in addition to the PC used for (example) browsing the internet or the PB, correct? When I hear server I think additional PC?

dgburns

Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:10 pm

"When I hear server I think additional PC?"

He means you need to have web server software (i.e. IIS, Apache, etc.) running on the machine so that it becomes a "web server". Wether that's the same pc or a different one I don't think matters.

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

Wulgaru

Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:32 am

Do you have a Windows 2000 or XP Pro machine on the network (not sure about XP Home)? If so, it can be configured to "serve up" websites by installing IIS. It's pretty easy, and can be found under the Add Remove Windows Components option in Add Remove Programs.

mjl
Topic Author

IIS

Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:50 am

Wulgaru wrote:
Do you have a Windows 2000 or XP Pro machine on the network (not sure about XP Home)? If so, it can be configured to "serve up" websites by installing IIS. It's pretty easy, and can be found under the Add Remove Windows Components option in Add Remove Programs.

I have XP Pro and added the component, thanks!

PRMan

Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:20 pm

I think he meant web browser.
PRMan

Wulgaru

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:51 am

PRMan wrote:
I think he meant web browser.

In order to run VncSix to do web browsing, he needs to have a computer hosting it that is running as a web server. I don't think there are currently any other applications for the Roku that would allow web browsing.