Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:54 am

Wulgaru wrote:
PRMan wrote:
I think he meant web browser.

In order to run VncSix to do web browsing, he needs to have a computer hosting it that is running as a web server. I don't think there are currently any other applications for the Roku that would allow web browsing.

Why would you need a web server? Unless VNC itself requires a web server to work properly, I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd need a web server to browse the web...? (I'm a developer, so all of the machines I have VNC installed on already have a web server installed, so I can't test otherwise)

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Wulgaru

Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:52 am

Just going by what I read by andy in this post and others, it seems like VNC Server needs to be installed on a machine running a web server. It makes sense if it uses HTTP for communication. I'm not the instigator of the information, just trying to clarify. :)

"First you install a free VNC server on a computer with a web server. Then you connect to it from your PhotoBridge with VncSix."

mjl
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:14 pm

Just verified with a friend who is MCSE, IIS certified and he agrees with The Endless. He said it is NOT necessary to have IIS (i.e. web server) running to use VNC to browse. I get the ROKU tonight and will try to VNC without IIS component installed, let you know.

vj9999

Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:44 pm

mjl wrote:
Just verified with a friend who is MCSE, IIS certified and he agrees with The Endless. He said it is NOT necessary to have IIS (i.e. web server) running to use VNC to browse. I get the ROKU tonight and will try to VNC without IIS component installed, let you know.

That is correct. You need to install VNC server on the computer that has a web browser that you will use.

heilpern

Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:24 pm

I haven't used VncSix, but assuming its just a VNC client... the PC you use needs to run a Vnc Server, NOT a web server. Vnc is basically a remote desktop tool, and through it, you can drive your web client to fetch sites just as you could from your desktop.

Wulgaru

Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:58 am

I guess we'll find out when mjl tries it. I'm in a similar boat as The Endless. Being a Microsoft developer, all of my machines are already running IIS.