Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mjl
Topic Author

Telnet copy

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:15 pm

I just got my HD1000 and want to upgrade the sfotware, I have a CF card but not CF writer can I put the upgrade on thecf card mounted in the HD1000 using telnet? if so how?

soiaf

Re: Telnet copy

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:59 am

mjl wrote:
I just got my HD1000 and want to upgrade the sfotware, I have a CF card but not CF writer can I put the upgrade on thecf card mounted in the HD1000 using telnet? if so how?

Yes, this can be done.
Basically you need to remount the compact flash card as read/write, setup a network share, copy the upgrade file to the compact flash card, upgrade the PhotoBridge and then delete the upgrade file from the compact flash card.

1) First telnet into your PhotoBridge. You'll know the IP address to use by looking in the setup menu of the PhotoBrige.

2) Remount the compact flash card as read/write - loads of different ways to do this, the following will work fine
umount /mnt/flash1 
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/flash1

So thats two commands you enter, exactly as above

3) Setup your network share using normal Roku interface

4) Now you need to copy the upgrade file, which will be called something like formatup.rok (downloaded via links in the Beta forum) into the shared network share.

5) Then you copy the formatup.rok file from the network share to the compact flash card. This step needs you to know the computer name and the share name

You can find what the computer name is by calling
ls /mnt/smb

Then when you have this (say its called computername) you find out the sharename
ls /mnt/smb/computername

Obviously replacing computername with your actual computer name.
Lets say the share name is sharename

Then you copy the file as follows (assuming the formatup.rok file is in the root of the network share you're copying from)

cp /mnt/smb/computername/sharename/formatup.rok /mnt/flash1/

where again computername and sharename are whatever yours are

6) You then update your software firmware! You do this by leaving the compact flash card in the PhotoBridge and doing a complete reboot (lets say pull the plug). It will take several minutes to update the firmware, eventually you'll get to the normal PhotoBridge screen fully updated.

But you'll want to remove the upgrade file from your Compact flash card, otherwise you'll continue to reformat your PhotoBridge anytime you have the compact flash card in the machine when you reboot.

This is simple to remove.

Again telnet into the PhotoBridge. Then, issue the following commands

umount /mnt/flash1 
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/flash1
rm /mnt/flash1/formatup.rok

And there you go!

Alternatively, let me just mention that compact flash card reader/writers are quite cheap nowadays :wink:

mjl
Topic Author

Telnet

Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:14 am

Thanks, the users on this forum are so helpful! I'm looking to buy a photo printer which accepts 4 or 5 different types of memory cards and I'm assuming can write a file using that. I assume that when I insert a memory card into the printer a new drive will be recognized (that can be written to) so in other words I'm too cheap to buy a reader/writer (considering $300 on HD 1000 and another $300 on a printer). Thanks again!

dgburns

Re: Telnet copy

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:17 am

soiaf wrote:
5) Then you copy the formatup.rok file from the network share to the compact flash card. This step needs you to know the computer name and the share name

You can find what the computer name is by calling
ls /mnt/smb

Then when you have this (say its called computername) you find out the sharename
ls /mnt/smb/computername

Obviously replacing computername with your actual computer name.
Lets say the share name is sharename

Then you copy the file as follows (assuming the formatup.rok file is in the root of the network share you're copying from)

cp /mnt/smb/computername/sharename/formatup.rok /mnt/flash1/

where again computername and sharename are whatever yours are

Alternatively, after you've mounted all your network shares and the CF card as r/w, you can type in 'df' at the command line in your telnet session and the "Mounted on" column at the far right will give you the exact paths you need to use for the cp command.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

dgburns

Re: Telnet

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:22 am

mjl wrote:
I assume that when I insert a memory card into the printer a new drive will be recognized (that can be written to)

I'm not sure I would make that assumption. Better check that either by reading the user manual in the store (or online) or actually trying it first.

As soiaf pointed out, multi-card devices are cheap. I just bought a 7-in-1 that connects to USB port (so I can move from machine to machine if needed) for $29, cheaper can probably be found online but I didn't want to wait for it to show up in the mail. I've even some ones that fit in a normal 5 1/4" drive bay and have a floppy drive and read/write 7 different cards types.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

mjl
Topic Author

Printer with ability to (read and) write to memory card

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:01 am

Just tried it at work on a printer with mutliple card slots. PC recoginzed a new drive as soon as I put the card into a slot and I was able to write a file to memory card. Thanks!