Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

KevinM
Topic Author

Newbie needs help setting up

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:11 pm

OK, apologies in advance for being a muppet, but I really don't have much of a clue about networking.

I have just bought a Photobridge HD1000 and updated the firmware to the latest 2.0.34

The main reason I bought it was to be able to stream my Hi-Def .ts videos through it from my PC

Here comes my problem, how do I connect the HD1000 to my PC ?

I have bought a cat5e crossover cable as I want to hardwire it to get the best possible speed, and I currently have a Belkin ADSL modem/router which my PC is currently wired into (into one of the four LAN sockets on the back of the modem/router).

My PC only has one LAN socket, which is the one connected to the modem/router, so can I connect the HD1000 to my modem/router into one of its spare LAN sockets or do I need to buy a LAN card for my PC and add another LAN socket to it and connect the HD1000 to that ?

After that, what else do I need to do ? I did do a search but I only came across little snippets of info, such as setting the folder where the files are located to shared, and my plan is to use MPlay v3 to play my video files.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, and again, apologies for not being as clued up as the rest of you.

Cheers,
Kevin.

pg_rider

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:26 pm

You'll get lots of help, don't worry....

As an aside, are your .ts files stuff you recorded or do you know of a place I can download some? I'm always looking for little HD clips, etc... :)

RokuPatrick

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:34 pm

Just plug the PhotoBridge into one of the LAN ports on the router's switch.

Dan Smart

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:22 am

But don't use a crossover cable, while the odds are that with modern auto-sensing ports it will work, if it doesn't it might fail in interesting or perhaps frustrating ways.

Dan
4xM2000 2xM1000.

KevinM
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:52 am

Dan Smart wrote:
But don't use a crossover cable, while the odds are that with modern auto-sensing ports it will work, if it doesn't it might fail in interesting or perhaps frustrating ways.

Dan

Oooh, now I am intrigued :o

What cable should I use ? I thought it was a crossover cable I needed...obviously not :oops:

Kevin.

Wulgaru

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:11 am

Patch cable. In a simplified view, they are used to connect PCs to a hub, switch, or router. Crossover cables are used to directly connect two PCs. Obviously, there is more to it than that, but it would just make things more confusing.

KevinM
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:25 am

Yay, that's me up and running...Well, I have the video working. these .ts files look sweet :D

I haven't got any sound yet, but I'm working on that. I think I am going to have to get a set of (small) powered speakers to sit next to the TV (left, right and a centre, perhaps) and feed it from the PB's co-ax digital output.

Failing that, a set of left/right powered speakers with a phono input and feed it from the PB's phono output.

Looking good though.

Thanks guys,
Kevin.

KevinM
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:34 am

So, can anyone recomend a good set of speakers (I'm thinking of 2.1, but would consider sugestions)

Thanks,
Kevin.

Wulgaru

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:39 am

I think most of the powered speakers that you will find will be intended for use with a computer and not have digital coax input (multiple stereo mini jacks instead). If you want surround, you will have to get one of the speaker sets that has a surround sound processor. If you are just looking for stereo using the analog audio output of the Roku, there are a ton of options. I've always kind of liked the Bose desktop speakers even though I'm not really a fan of their high-end systems.

Dan Smart

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:22 pm

KevinM wrote:
So, can anyone recomend a good set of speakers (I'm thinking of 2.1, but would consider sugestions)

When asking questions like that, it is a very good idea to suggest a budget, as I can recommend several superlative sets of powered speakers with digital inputs to meet a range of wide budgets, and couple of sets of powered analog speakers that might appeal to a more modest budget.
So without clues:
Meridian Audio DSP8000 http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_d8k.htm
These are digital active speakers with multiple amplifiers per cabinet, and the crossovers are done in the digital domain, of course they are at least $40,000 per pair, but they sound divine, and you won't need a sub-woofer (trust me). One day these will be mine.
(The DSP6000's and 5000's are also both awesome and slightly less expensive)

Or at the other end of the scale:
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=103
These have analog inputs, and sound pretty good, they are also a tad cheaper at $179.

Logitech Z-2300 http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9372
A friend owns these and likes them, I prefer the klipsch's. These are $149.

If your budget is in the $1000 range, I'd team a yamaha reciever up with some of the bookshelf Kef speakers myself.

But at all costs remember:
All Highs, No Lows,
Must be BOSE.

And that BOSE stands for "Better Off Something Else".

Dan "I don't actually own any of the speakers listed above, and only desire to own the DSP8000's" Smart
[Standard speeling and grommar disclaimer here]
4xM2000 2xM1000.

Wulgaru

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:38 pm

Dan Smart wrote:
But at all costs remember: All Highs, No Lows,
Must be BOSE.

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion. Typically, I am inclined to agree. Most BOSE stuff is overpriced and doesn't sound nearly as good as an alternative system you can build for less money. For some reason, though, I enjoy the sound of their computer speakers. Maybe it's just because I don't expect all that much out of my computer speakers. The best advice is always to just listen to whatever you can and pick your favorite (and what you can afford).

Dan Smart

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:59 am

It's a fair cop, the Bose iPod dock doesn't appear to sound too bad, and I'm actually a fan of their car stereos. I've kind of assumed that either they have different people designing their car audio, or they design their home audio so that it sounds great in a manhattan appartment the size of a car.

Wulgaru is entirely correct that listening is always the best decision maker, although I'd add that even if you are practised at auditioning hifi gear it is always advisable to make sure that you can return your purchase, it's sometimes difficult to judge your long term impressions of a system in a short listening.

Never listen to kit that's much more expensive than you can afford, no good will come of it (trust me on this).

Don't ask questions like "what system I should buy" in a forum populated by audio geeks without limitting the scope a bit :-) oops that should be "limitting the scope a lot" :lol: .

Dan "Eternally unsatisfied" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.