Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mebby
Topic Author

Network set-up

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:24 pm

This is probably not the best place to post such a question so I apologize up front, but I know that this is a very active forum and the best place to get the best advice.

Anyway... I have structured wiring in my home with ethernet ports in every room. I have a router (wired and wireless unit) that I use to connect my cable modem to each ethernet port that I want to use. Currently I own one SoundBridge which is wired (I prefer wired so that I can stream my lossless WMA without problems) to the ethernet port in the living room. I'm getting ready to buy (finally) a photobridge and would also like to run it in a wired environment, but I want it in the living room as well.

So, since I basically need to connect two devices to one ethernet jack in the wall I know that I either need a network bridge or a hub but I don't know which one. What is the difference and what do I need to buy to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

mebby
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:49 pm

OK - after a little web searching I think I've determined that it doesn't REALLY matter but a switch will give me better network traffic management... I'm sure there is more to it than that but that's my 30 second assessment.

Now I have another quick question. I plan on adding a 200 gigabyte network attached storage drive to my network. I can add this to an empy port on the router or I could add it to the switch that I'm about to buy. The primary purpose of the NAS will be to store all my DVDs that I'm going to rip and stream to the photobridge. Will I have better performance by attaching the NAS to the switch or the router or does it really matter?

Thanks

HD1000 wired

heilpern

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:38 pm

I would expect that placing it as close as possible (wiring-wise) to the PhotoBridge will give you the best playback throughput - especially if you've got a switch in the livingroom (versus a hub).

Wulgaru

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:15 am

I believe that is correct. In my setup, I have a 100 megabit router and a gigabit switch. I attach all my gigabit-enabled devices to the switch. The router assigns the IP addresses and puts the machines in communication with eachother, but I still get the gigabit speeds because the data just flows through the switch and doesn't have to involve the router.

Note that this doesn't impact my Roku since it's not gigabit, but I just wanted to point out that the data doesn't need to go through the router. So, you can get better performance with two machines on the same switch.

mebby
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:24 am

This all makes sense - thanks for the suggestions. I think what I'll do is by a switch and attach my SB, PB, and NAS to it so that all DVD streams will just go from the NAS, through the switch and back to the PB.

Thanks again for the advice.

HD1000 wired

dgburns

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:03 pm

mebby wrote:
This all makes sense - thanks for the suggestions. I think what I'll do is by a switch and attach my SB, PB, and NAS to it so that all DVD streams will just go from the NAS, through the switch and back to the PB.

Yes, a switch would be best. A hub is just a multiport repeater so it's dumb, a switch has enough intelligence so that the data only goes to the intended port.

If the link from this switch is 100Mbit, ad all the other links in the network path are 100Mbit, it won't matter WHERE on the LAN you put the NAS device. It won't be ANY "faster" plugged into the switch, plugged into the router, or plugged directlyinto the Roku (with a crossover cable).

You >MAY< actually WANT the NAS in another room if either it's looks or it's noise are not palatable in your home theater room.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

mebby
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:22 pm

dgburns wrote:
mebby wrote:

Yes, a switch would be best. A hub is just a multiport repeater so it's dumb, a switch has enough intelligence so that the data only goes to the intended port.

If the link from this switch is 100Mbit, ad all the other links in the network path are 100Mbit, it won't matter WHERE on the LAN you put the NAS device. It won't be ANY "faster" plugged into the switch, plugged into the router, or plugged directlyinto the Roku (with a crossover cable).

You >MAY< actually WANT the NAS in another room if either it's looks or it's noise are not palatable in your home theater room.

Well that's a good point too. I basically have a closet where all my wiring meets (cable, CAT5, telco, etc.) so I'd prefer to have the NAS in the closet and out of sight. All my network connections are 100Mbit so I might as well put it in the "wife friendly" location if it won't degrade my performance.

HD1000 wired