Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

igleaner
Topic Author

NO DIGITAL AUDIO PASS THRU CONNECTIONS

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:29 pm

When setting up the HD1000 in a pass thru configuration, video is wired using component in and out connections. I'm trying to set the Roku in-line between my DVD player and TV.

My DVD player outputs digital audio, but there is no way to connect this as an input to the Roku. So obviously, digital audio cannot be connected in a pass thru confdiguration. I don't want to use the inferior analog audio connectons.

So by using a pass through configuration, my Roku video will display on my stereo receiver's DVD setting, but the audio will have to be connected to another device on my receiver. As you can't use the stereo amplifier on two devices simultaneously, this sort of defeats the purpose of using the pass through configuration if you can't pass thru digital audio signals.

How do I hook up the digital audio outputs for both my DVD player and the Roku if I want tp use the pass through feature?

dgburns

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:10 pm

Since there's no digital audio pass-through, what you're asking can't be done.

Me, I run the DVD to the DVD input of my receiver, and the Roku to another input, and use the receiver to switch which source is active (and being passed through to the TV for video).
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

flar

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:37 pm

A couple of solutions depending on how your system is set up...

- Some receivers have a mode where you can watch one video setting and listen to a different audio setting. You can use that to watch the "DVD video" (really the pass-thru from the Roku) and listen to the digital audio from the Roku on a different input.

- One thing that might help manage the first suggestion is if your receiver has assignable digital inputs which would give you some flexibility on reusing the digital inputs from some otherwise engaged inputs.

- Finally, multiple inputs on the TV could be used. For a while, when my receiver didn't have enough switched component inputs for all of my component video devices, I hooked the Roku into my TV via the "PC" VGA connection and bypassed the receiver's video switching - using the receiver only for the audio.

- One item I have which makes some of these options more palatable is a Logitech Harmony remote control. The control is smart enough to know which settings all of your devices need to be set to when you start a given activity and manage swtching all of the inputs from any given configuration to another just by hitting a button. These remotes are a hot topic on the AV forums right now and the configurator knows all of the Roku remote codes. It made switching my TV to PC and my receiver to "MD digital input" with one button painless...

Dan Smart

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:49 pm

4xM2000 2xM1000.

igleaner
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:32 am

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The automatic switchbox is intriguing, but expensive.

In my case, the easiest solution will be to use the component video pass through feature of the HD1000 to send video to the DVD input of my TV while simultaneously sending the HD1000 audio output to Video 1 input of my stereo receiver.

Then by programming a macro in my Home Theater Master MX-850 remote, I can automatically select both the correct video input on the TV and audio input on the stereo receiver.

What was initially misleading was the pass through feature which Roku advertised as a great solution when you don't have enough componnet video inputs on your monitor. But you really can't pass through both video and audio. So a smart programmable remote is a must.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:21 pm

igleaner wrote:
Thanks for all the good suggestions. The automatic switchbox is intriguing, but expensive.

In my case, the easiest solution will be to use the component video pass through feature of the HD1000 to send video to the DVD input of my TV while simultaneously sending the HD1000 audio output to Video 1 input of my stereo receiver.

Then by programming a macro in my Home Theater Master MX-850 remote, I can automatically select both the correct video input on the TV and audio input on the stereo receiver.

What was initially misleading was the pass through feature which Roku advertised as a great solution when you don't have enough componnet video inputs on your monitor. But you really can't pass through both video and audio. So a smart programmable remote is a must.

I'm not sure if it's applicable to your set up, but the way I have mine working is... I have my Roku hooked up to the digital coax DVD input on my pre-amp and my DVD player hooked up to the optical DVD input on the pre-amp, and I just let the pre-amp do the auto-switching on the audio. This works perfectly as long as I have the device I'm not using turned off, so the pre-amp can do the auto-switching on audio input.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)