Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mjl
Topic Author

NAS

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:53 am

I'm considering buying a NAS but from the threads I've read there seem to be issues with NFS vs. SMB in streaming HD to the PB. Right now I stream ripped DVD's to the PB which works great with an always on computer through a wired network. I want the NAS to store and stream HD, and have the following questions (I'm a newbie and don't now anything about Linux):

1. Is the NFS vs. SMB just a programming/software issue or is it hardware related (i.e. PB can and will never support a HD stream with SMB)?

2. I'm considering a Linkstation 300gb NAS share with the PB, thoughts and opinions considering it or others NAS ability to add storage, improve to 1gb network connection, etc....?

As always thanks!

dgburns

Re: NAS

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:39 am

mjl wrote:
1. Is the NFS vs. SMB just a programming/software issue or is it hardware related (i.e. PB can and will never support a HD stream with SMB)?

In my testing, the SMB implementation on the Roku (probably CPU bound, it's only a 300MHz CPU in the Roku and SMB is not very efficient) is limited to about 25Mbps. I watch HD streams off my PC's no problem (Windows and Linux SMB shares). I've not yet had time to setup an NFS export from my Linux machine to see if my Roku gets any higher throughput that way, but others have reported it does.

HDTV is supposedly limited to 19.6Mbps (DVD is 9.6Mbps). These bitrates are why HD streaming over 802.11b wireless or USB 1.1 hard disk is never gonna be satisfactory. But they should work FINE over wired SMB, assuming the serving PC can keep up the streams. I regularly get 75+Mbps PC to PC SMB transfers, so the limitation is definately NOT my PC's, their software, or my network. But I do have some HD streams that are 25, 30, even 40 Mbps and they are choppy over SMB.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2