Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

drknow
Topic Author

WMA woes

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:37 am

OK, I made a mistake. I bought the PB thinking that it supported wma like the SB. I really want the photo display option but all my music is wma encoded. What are my options now? [I have the HD 1000 upgraded to the most recent software release connected to an XP machine by 100 Mbps network. About 300 CDs worth of music stored in 44 kHz, lossless wma.]

A) Use SlimRoku? Tried it and while it found my server and I could browse music, nothing will play. Tried the WMA-->MP3 conversion setting and it told me it couldn't find wmadec. The website is no help. And the connection seems a little flaky.

B) Use Windows Media Connection? Maybe, but I can't find any support on the Roku site of how I might set this up. Given experience with SlimServer, I'm skeptical.

C) Convert all my music? I would do this in a second, but none of the converters out there will happily take an existing directory structure of music and convert it all at once. They all want a file list or convert one directory at a time - or they will take a list of directories and convert them all into a single output directory. Converting directory by directory is probably going to take longer than re-ripping the CDs.

D) Re-rip the CDs? About 300 of them. Seems crazy to have to do this.

E) Return the Roku and just hook up a laptop to the receiver? Doesn't give me the photo capability or remote control.

No one but myself to blame here. I'm looking for something simple, reliable and with a high spouse acceptance factor. Any help will be appreciated.

woodysd

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:30 am

You'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you encode your files to MP3 from the start. The file size may be slightly larger, but to me it's worth the cost of extra disk space when you can actually use all your files with every piece of hardware. MP3's are the king of open standard format, nearly every device supports it.

Try these tools to help you convert your library ... MediaMonkey or Jriver Media Center. If your media files are DRM protected you're up for a larger task.

soiaf

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:00 am

I think 'dbpoweramp music converter' should be able to do option C and retain the directory structure (and retain any tagging you've added to your files)
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

If you want to keep using a lossless format I'd recommend converting to WavPack or FLAC, or if you want to move to lossy theres always MP3. All of these formats have 'native' PhotoBridge codecs (either by Roku or third party).

Burkhardi

Re: WMA woes

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:56 am

You need to use SlimRoku and transcode the WMA to LAME MP#. I had the same issue and it's discussed in the Slim Roku post. I really hope they get WMA support to the PB soon (inthe next firmware beta would be even better). PM me if you are still having isssues after reading the SlimRoku post.
Regards, Matt

drknow wrote:
OK, I made a mistake. I bought the PB thinking that it supported wma like the SB. I really want the photo display option but all my music is wma encoded. What are my options now? [I have the HD 1000 upgraded to the most recent software release connected to an XP machine by 100 Mbps network. About 300 CDs worth of music stored in 44 kHz, lossless wma.]

A) Use SlimRoku? Tried it and while it found my server and I could browse music, nothing will play. Tried the WMA-->MP3 conversion setting and it told me it couldn't find wmadec. The website is no help. And the connection seems a little flaky.

B) Use Windows Media Connection? Maybe, but I can't find any support on the Roku site of how I might set this up. Given experience with SlimServer, I'm skeptical.

C) Convert all my music? I would do this in a second, but none of the converters out there will happily take an existing directory structure of music and convert it all at once. They all want a file list or convert one directory at a time - or they will take a list of directories and convert them all into a single output directory. Converting directory by directory is probably going to take longer than re-ripping the CDs.

D) Re-rip the CDs? About 300 of them. Seems crazy to have to do this.

E) Return the Roku and just hook up a laptop to the receiver? Doesn't give me the photo capability or remote control.

No one but myself to blame here. I'm looking for something simple, reliable and with a high spouse acceptance factor. Any help will be appreciated.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

soiaf

Re: WMA woes

Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:29 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
I really hope they get WMA support to the PB soon (inthe next firmware beta would be even better).

'Ordinary' (lossy) WMA uses a different codec to WMA lossless (which is what drknow is using). This would be two codecs to implement. It wouldnt be worthwhile (in my opinion) for Roku to invest the development time or money (in license fees) to implement WMA lossless on the PhotoBridge, particularly as its not their main 'music' device.

drknow
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:12 pm

soiaf wrote:
I think 'dbpoweramp music converter' should be able to do option C and retain the directory structure (and retain any tagging you've added to your files)
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Unless I'm missing something in dbpoweramp, it will only convert lists of files, not lists of directories. I would like something I can point to the root of my music and say 'convert all these to mp3s'.

soiaf

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:31 pm

drknow wrote:
Unless I'm missing something in dbpoweramp, it will only convert lists of files, not lists of directories. I would like something I can point to the root of my music and say 'convert all these to mp3s'.

If you install v11 of dBpoweramp (the current version), you should have in your Start menu an option called 'dmc file selector'.
Using this you can select directories, and a destination to convert to. It will convert all the directories retaining the structure etc. - so assuming all your music is in one master directory (with a directory for each artist etc.) then you could convert your entire music collection in one go.