Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

audiologic
Topic Author

can't find any network shares with win2k ??

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:35 am

Hello. I am a custom installer, and setting up a pb on a project this week.

In this home the roku connects to the network through a wireless bridge (linksys wap54g). And the music shares exhist on a win2k machine.

2 shares, 1 is a local folder, other is a usbdrive always attached.

I followed the win2k setup exactly, using the guest account, and tested the shares over the wireless bridge using my laptop and the quest account.

Everything is accessible, and the guest account works, from the laptop, but the pb still sees no network servers, and rescanning for shares does not help. I get an IP assigned to the roku properly by dhcp, so now I'm at a loss.

The pb is running 1.51 something os, I think. If anyone has any ideas, I can be reached by email or messenger all day, and will moniter this thread.

Thanks for your help. :D

Wulgaru

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:52 pm

Because it's easy and because the Guest account presents a security issue, I just created a basic account on my PC for the Roku. Then, I just enter the user name and password into the Network settings on the Roku, and everything works great.

RokuPatrick

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:39 pm

Is the "Add Account" button clickable? If so, does it show the computer and shares you expect to find? If so, it's probably because there were no public shares available.

I would recommend you upgrade to the latest beta. Even though it's still a beta, it should be more reliable than the 1.5.18 build and the share searching/detection should be quite a bit better as well.

audiologic
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:56 pm

No, the add account and edit accountss button are not clickable, to the right of the buttons on the network shares setup page, there is one line that says,"no network servers found", but there is an IP address.

where do I find, and how do I install the 2.1 beta?

Thanks for your help.

Is the Network Shares setup the only place to configure network settings? If so, seems awefully dumbed down.... like there should be more possible configurations, and ways to check on the network status.

RokuPatrick

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:16 pm

http://www.rokulabs.com/support/HD10002.0Beta.php

Yes, the Network Shares panel is the only place to configure anything network related. The 2.0 software add sa system information panel that provides more status information.

audiologic
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:48 pm

I'm dling 2.0 now.

so does 1.5.18 have trouble seeing the network?

should I be seeing the available network shares even if I don't have guest active?

what do you mean by no "public" shares? I assume you mean samba shares on the network with guest access allowed, which i have, and can test with my laptop.

audiologic
Topic Author

fixed!

Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:38 pm

putting on 2.0.28 fixed the problems!
Thanks for the help, guys. Look forward to future updates
:D