Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

KevinM
Topic Author

PC connected directly to HD1000....Help please !

Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:45 am

OK guys,

I am sure someone out there must have the fillowing setup an can help me.

I want to connect my HD1000 PB directly to my PC LAN (not via a router), and would appreciate it if someone could tell me exactly what I need to do to make this happen.

I have a crossover cable and have connected the HD1000 to the LAN port on my PC, but no luck doing this.

What is it I need to do to allow the Roku to play files off my PC HD ?

I have read what I can on this forum and connecting a PC directly to the HD1000 seems very complicated and it would be good to have a definitive guide in easy to follow steps from start to finish.

Many thanks,
Kevin.

soiaf

Re: PC connected directly to HD1000....Help please !

Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:42 pm

KevinM wrote:
OK guys,

I am sure someone out there must have the fillowing setup an can help me.

I want to connect my HD1000 PB directly to my PC LAN (not via a router), and would appreciate it if someone could tell me exactly what I need to do to make this happen.

I have a crossover cable and have connected the HD1000 to the LAN port on my PC, but no luck doing this.

What is it I need to do to allow the Roku to play files off my PC HD ?

I have read what I can on this forum and connecting a PC directly to the HD1000 seems very complicated and it would be good to have a definitive guide in easy to follow steps from start to finish.

Directly connecting will work fine if 2 things are true
1) You're using a crossover cable rather than an ordinary ethernet cable (true in your case)
2) Both the PC and the Roku are using static IP addresses, in the same subnet.

Not quite sure where you are at the moment - does your PC already have a static IP address?

I wrote a script to help set static IP addresses on the PhotoBridge, some details about it in this thread
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2837