Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pransom
Topic Author

480 switch to 1080 and compatible setup with AV receiver

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:45 am

Hi There,

In setting up my HD1000 last night I encountered a couple of issues, basic probably but beyond what I was able to resolve.

I am trying to connect my HD1000 to my receiver and dvr cable box to pass thru signals to the living room where my hdtv is.

-If the HD1000 is already set at default for 480 and my hdtv is at 1080 do I need to change the default to 1080?

Also, I could not connect the component cord to my receiver from the HD1000 as my AV rec does not have component ready jacks, it is 7 yrs, but has S-video. So I ran the component jacks from the HD1000 to my DVR box, then DVr box to the hdtv. The picture and setuip menu etc..came thru fine but when I switched back to cable to watch regular cable the picture was distorted. Do I need to run the component cord thru something else or is there an adapter or ?? Trying to keep everything in line properly. I also have a DVD player and CD player tied into the AV receiver but the jackas are available for those.

Wulgaru

Re: 480 switch to 1080 and compatible setup with AV receiver

Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:26 am

pransom wrote:
If the HD1000 is already set at default for 480 and my hdtv is at 1080 do I need to change the default to 1080?

I would set the HD1000 to whatever resolution your HDTV supports natively. Mine is at 720p because my TV is 1366x768. If you are using the Roku component pass-through, it will not upscale the video passing through.

pransom wrote:
Also, I could not connect the component cord to my receiver from the HD1000 as my AV rec does not have component ready jacks, it is 7 yrs, but has S-video. So I ran the component jacks from the HD1000 to my DVR box, then DVr box to the hdtv. The picture and setuip menu etc..came thru fine but when I switched back to cable to watch regular cable the picture was distorted. Do I need to run the component cord thru something else or is there an adapter or ?? Trying to keep everything in line properly. I also have a DVD player and CD player tied into the AV receiver but the jackas are available for those.

I would switch it so that the DVR signal is passing through the Roku instead of the Roku signal passing through the DVR. DVR -> Roku -> HDTV. The ability to do this is one of the big features of the Roku.

pransom
Topic Author

thank you!

Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:49 am

I appreciate your feedback and advice.

I initiallyhad the setup as you described DVR - Roku - HDTV but when I switched from the roku back to watching cable, the picture was not right, smudgy and discolored. So maybe if I change the settings on the Roku to 1080, as that is what my HDTV is natively, the signal will be consistent all the way thru! Hopefully. Will let you know. I bought an S-video cable just in case I cannot use the component but I would prefer the component method with this application.

Wulgaru

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:52 pm

The difference between component and S-Video is comparable to the difference between night and day. Unless there is something wrong with your cables or your Roku, it should not affect the video passing through regardless of the Roku's resolution settings. That's an odd one.

dgburns

Re: thank you!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:13 am

pransom wrote:
I appreciate your feedback and advice.

I initiallyhad the setup as you described DVR - Roku - HDTV but when I switched from the roku back to watching cable, the picture was not right, smudgy and discolored. So maybe if I change the settings on the Roku to 1080, as that is what my HDTV is natively, the signal will be consistent all the way thru! Hopefully. Will let you know. I bought an S-video cable just in case I cannot use the component but I would prefer the component method with this application.

What TV? VERY few are really native 1080.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2