Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Adrian Lakowski
Topic Author

Any advantage of larger memory than 128MB for CF cards?

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:23 pm

Hi all,

I just figured out how to add the extra memory via CF card / Swap file. I used a 512MB CF I stole from my Camera for trial purposes. When I check system information it says only 63MB.

Q. What is going on here?

Q. What is the rest on the memory being used for?

I confess I am a total newbee to all the software options this unit offers and an not sure what more than 128MB offers?

Thanks,

Wulgaru

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:31 am

By default, the swap application creates a 64MB swap file. The rest of the space on the card isn't being used for anything. If you like, you can change the command-line for the swap application to create a bigger file (I believe), but it's not necessary unless you plan to run many applications at once which wouldn't really work anyways. The best thing would probably be to buy a cheap 128MB card and use that.
Last edited by Wulgaru on Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Lakowski
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:52 am

Any trick to editing the file from Windows XP?

Is it as simple as opening the file off the CF card and editing with a basic text edititor program like note pad?

Thanks for your help!!

RokuPatrick

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:16 am

Adrian Lakowski wrote:
Any trick to editing the file from Windows XP?

Is it as simple as opening the file off the CF card and editing with a basic text edititor program like note pad?

Thanks for your help!!

No, you need to edit it with something that respects Unix-style line endings. Wordpad may work, Notepad definitely doesn't. I recommend a program called "TextPad", it works great for things like this.

mebby

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:45 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:
No, you need to edit it with something that respects Unix-style line endings. Wordpad may work, Notepad definitely doesn't. I recommend a program called "TextPad", it works great for things like this.

I assume that when using TextPad you should change the file type to Unix when saving the document? This is what I have done but since my HD1000 hasn't yet arrived I don't know if it worked yet or not.

Thanks
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

barrygordon

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:33 pm

you are correct. you must change the file type in textpad to unix style. You can check it by opening the Unix style doc in notepad. It won't look right