Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Frogstar
Topic Author

Questions from a newbie hopefully soon owner

Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:47 pm

Hello to all,

I have been looking at various streming device and while the HD1000 has not got everything on my wish list I think and hope it fits the bill :)

Lets Start, what I was looking for was a device that will connect to my imac G4, streaming my ripped dvd collection, mp2/3/4 audion and video file and be wifi.

Well mp4 is out and wifi would not be fast enough so when I move into my new house soon I will have to get the cat 5 cable out.

I have read various different posts in the last few day that are of interest, the most interesting on being about a Linksys product that turn USB drives into NAS, the ability to have a drive connected and not have to have my computer on would be usefull, how easy is this or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

What is the limit on a compact flash card? as I have a nice 1GB that woukd be usefull to keep a movie and a few tunes on for easy playback.

Going back to mpeg 4 is this a hardware limitation or just a furure firmware uprade?

Using a mac I will be using mac the ripper to rip my dvd collection so I can archive the originals, do I have to convert them to anything else?

Thanks for your time and hopefully will be parting with my cash if the answers are good.

Cheers

Wulgaru

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:59 am

Q. Going back to mpeg 4 is this a hardware limitation or just a furure firmware uprade?
A. Hardware limitation I believe.

Q. What is the limit on a compact flash card? as I have a nice 1GB that woukd be usefull to keep a movie and a few tunes on for easy playback.
A. I've used a 1GB CF card with no problems. You won't be able to fit much of a movie in mpeg2 format on it, though.

Q. Using a mac I will be using mac the ripper to rip my dvd collection so I can archive the originals, do I have to convert them to anything else?
A. I use DVDShrink, and I don't have to do any more conversion. I'm thinking that you shouldn't have to either as long as you output VOB files.

Frogstar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:31 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, see what your saying, will use the 1gig card for favouite mp3 files.

Ater mac the ripper has finished I am left with a video ts and a audio ts folder the video ts folder has lots of seperate vob files in it not just one

Cheers

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:21 pm

Frogstar wrote:
Ater mac the ripper has finished I am left with a video ts and a audio ts folder the video ts folder has lots of seperate vob files in it not just one

That should work fine if you use MPlay. MPlay will recognize it as a DVD rip and will locate and play the feature VTS accordingly.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Frogstar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks,

I have been searching this forum, try to soak up all the information I can,
The conclusion being I need one of these quickly. Now where's my credit card :)

On my earlier post about wifi, I don't think I had my brain engaged:
If I take my d-link wireless router, connect to the adsl line plug the hd100
into the back of it and plug the linksys device into it as well with a hard drive plugged into the linksys. would I be right in asuming evreything should see each other? I could hardwire the mac but would meen running cat 5 upstairs. Something I may do in the future as wifi can be a bit flakey.

Thanks for all the info and will be ordering a unit real soon.

mebby

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:00 pm

Frogstar wrote:
If I take my d-link wireless router, connect to the adsl line plug the hd100 into the back of it and plug the linksys device into it as well with a hard drive plugged into the linksys. would I be right in asuming evreything should see each other? I could hardwire the mac but would meen running cat 5 upstairs. Something I may do in the future as wifi can be a bit flakey.

Thanks for all the info and will be ordering a unit real soon.

If I understand you correctly then, yes - you should be OK. Just to confirm - you have a wired/wireless router that you will use to connect your PB and NAS to directly (wired, not wireless). If so, then my answer is yes.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

Frogstar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:33 pm

Yes. The only thing wireless would be the Macintosh.

The Hd 1000 from what I have read and been told sounds like the unit for me, will get one real soon.

The only thing now on my wish list is a way of connecting a firewire hard drive directly to it, the linksys product has the usb covered, but most of my drives are firewire including my 500gig one.

Thanks once again, this is one of the best forums I have ever come accross :)