Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mebby
Topic Author

A few newbie questions

Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:53 pm

I've had my HD1000 for about 4 days now and so far have been very pleased, but I'm confused about a few things that I could use some help on.

First off - I'm running the latest beta (2.0.34) in a wired environment.

- Rebooting. How do you do this other than unplugging the unit and plugging it back in? Is there a telnet command? How do I telnet to the unit? I've connected but it asks me for a username and password.

- Third Party Apps. Most of the installation instructions say to put the folders from the zip file into the root of a shared drive. I'm a litte confused by this. Do this mean that if I have a drive shared on my network (say "F") that I have to literally put the applications' folders directly in the root of "F" or can I create one folder (let's say "Apps") to store all my applications in? Also, if I decide to move the folder location of an application, do I have to do something on the PB to remove the old app first? I've had issues getting the PB to see new apps that I've put on my shared drive so I'm wondering if I have to reboot the PB or something in order to make it see the new folder...

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: A few newbie questions

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:48 pm

mebby wrote:
I've had my HD1000 for about 4 days now and so far have been very pleased, but I'm confused about a few things that I could use some help on.

First off - I'm running the latest beta (2.0.34) in a wired environment.

- Rebooting. How do you do this other than unplugging the unit and plugging it back in? Is there a telnet command? How do I telnet to the unit? I've connected but it asks me for a username and password.

Username is "root", no password. From a bash prompt ("#") you can type "reboot". Alternatively, you can hold the power button down for about 5 seconds to reboot.

mebby wrote:
- Third Party Apps. Most of the installation instructions say to put the folders from the zip file into the root of a shared drive. I'm a litte confused by this. Do this mean that if I have a drive shared on my network (say "F") that I have to literally put the applications' folders directly in the root of "F" or can I create one folder (let's say "Apps") to store all my applications in?

In most cases you can ignore the "root of the share" statement and put it in a subfolder. The suggestion of sticking it in the root is just to make it easier to explain. The PhotoBridge is smart enough to search all of the subfolders of a mounted share, so no problem with creating a subfolder for each app.

mebby wrote:
Also, if I decide to move the folder location of an application, do I have to do something on the PB to remove the old app first? I've had issues getting the PB to see new apps that I've put on my shared drive so I'm wondering if I have to reboot the PB or something in order to make it see the new folder...

Don't need to do anything special to remove an application. It's good practice to highlight the share on the left and hit select after adding/removing an app. This will cause the PB to rescan the share and find new apps.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mebby
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:15 pm

Perfect! As always - thanks for the reply.

This helps clear my head on a lot of things that are not documented (at least that I could find) by Roku.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers

M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers

HD1000 wired