Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

computerguy
Topic Author

will HD1000 work to 2 rooms?

Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:44 am

Hi, first post, ive enjoyed reading the forum here.

I have a client with a TV downstairs and a TV upstairs. Each has its own Yamaha Stero Amplifier controlled by a Crestron touchpad screen for that room.

The Roku "audio-out" leads to only ONE of the Yamaha amps and it works fine from the downstairs TV,,,

However the upstairs TV can scan the Roku media via the ethernet but no sound comes out - I assume because the Roku audio is leading to only the downstairs stereo amp.

Theres only one (L and R) audio out from the Roku.

My question is this:- Can you use a Roku HD1000 with more than one Stero Amp at the same time so that upstairs and downstairs are playing different songs at the same time? How do i get the sound to teh second Amplifier?

or must they buy two Roku? Is there another model that will handle 2 outputs?

Thanks, im new to Roku and this is alot to take in at once.

soiaf

Re: will HD1000 work to 2 rooms?

Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:37 am

computerguy wrote:
My question is this:- Can you use a Roku HD1000 with more than one Stero Amp at the same time so that upstairs and downstairs are playing different songs at the same time? How do i get the sound to teh second Amplifier?

No, its not possible for it to play different songs at the same time unfortunately.

dgburns

Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:20 pm

Are you only concerned with playing songs? The PhotoBridge is likely not the best device for that. Maybe you just need a SoundBridge at the 2nd location if it's only for music???
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

computerguy
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:51 pm

The HD1000 was pre-existing here before i came onto the job of hooking up the computer. It was for viewing the camera cards i guess. I fugured ill try to make it work for the music system too. I decided to install the Slimroku software.

I have noticed that when scrolling through the Roku menu, the same image appears on both upstairs and bottom TVs, so I guess that the same sound is also supposed to be playing. i guess i need to connect a sound cable from teh receiver that the Roku audio out goes to, and connect it up into the other reciever so that audio is played out the top TV.

thanks for the feedback.

dgburns

Re: will HD1000 work to 2 rooms?

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:25 am

computerguy wrote:
Theres only one (L and R) audio out from the Roku.

Sounds like the anlog audio out is going to the one receiver. You could TRY running the digital audio out to the other receiver. Otherwise, I think you'd need an audio analog distribution amp to get the audio from the Roku to both amps simultaneously.

Alternatively, I suppose if the wanted to spend bucks you could either:
a) get another Photobridge
b) get a new multi-zone amp and put speakers at both locations, programming the Crestron to set the amp to the proper output zone for the viewing location.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

computerguy
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:37 pm

Sounds like the anlog audio out is going to the one receiver

thats correct.

i think ill try to use the digital out to get sound to the 2nd receiver, and also try to patch a line from the receiver that gets sound, to a line-in on teh other receiver.
they cant change out amps this late in the game, and i might could get another photobridge.
the distribution amp is a possiblility.

thanks again.

kenb

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:46 pm

Not sure if you realize it or not, but the client easily has $10K to $20K wrapped up in Crestron. $200-$300 might seem expensive to you, but I'm guessing the client wouldn't bat an eyelash at simply adding another unit.

Assuming you don't go the 'digital out' route, the proper way to get analog sound to both Yamaha receivers/rooms is to simply using an RCA Y adaptor ($3 a R.S) on both the L&R outputs. Connect one of each to the local Yamaha and then the other L&R SHOULD be converted to balanced audio, which typically runs over CAT5 or in some cases shielded 22/4. Running regular audio patchcords over 20 feet is not advised. You lose volume and pick up noise very quickly. See Elan (IRAWP) or Sonance (LR1 & LS1) for the parts. Again, these parts run $100-$200, so with wiring, install and the parts, you'll spend more than just adding another Roku.

PLUS another Roku allows seperate pictures & sound on both sets. My guess is that when it was installed, the client only wanted it for camera photos, which requires no sound. Since it was so close to the one Yamaha the sound was hooked up simply because it was fast and easy.

Hope this helps.
KenB

computerguy
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:26 pm

you make some good points. thanks.

im wondering if 2 rokus would function ok using the same computer, and how well they would be able to use the SLimroku/Slimserver software at the same time.

mjl

Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:47 am

computerguy wrote:
you make some good points. thanks.

im wondering if 2 rokus would function ok using the same computer, and how well they would be able to use the SLimroku/Slimserver software at the same time.

Not sure about 2 PB's but I use 1 PC with slimserver and can run slimroku on the PB (wired), a SB m500 (wireless) and a SB m1000 (wireless) all at the sametime with no problem (all three are using slimserver on the pc so 2 PB's in theory sounds like it would work). Still can't get window media connect to run on either SB for more than 15 seconds.