Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

phroman
Topic Author

telnet directly into HD1000

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:07 pm

Hi all, is there a way to telnet directly into my HD1000 without going through a router. My HD will not obtain an IP from my router and I'm trying to think of anything else that may work. Could I use a crossover cable and just go from my laptop to the HD? Maybe if I assigned it a static IP that might get it on my network. Thanks for any help

dgburns

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:15 pm

Guessing here...

Direct connect with a crossover cable.
I think the Roku will eventually timeout and have a default IP. Look that up on screen.
Configure your laptop for a static IP in the same subnet.
Then you should be able to telnet into the Roku and configure it for a static IP on your normal network.

Another potential:
The RS232 port SHOULD act as a "console". You would connect a serial cable from there to your laptop, open a Hyperterminal, and power up the Roku. You should see bootup process in Hyperterminal, and be able to interact via laptop keyboard, and configure static IP that way. I could swear I've seen more about doing that either here in the forum's or in the FAQ's.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

phroman
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:41 pm

Hyperterminal is a Windows program right? I've got a mac laptop, no serial port. I have a pc too but it's deep in another room, and I'm not familiar with HypTerm but it can't be that diffucult I bet. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the help!