Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tssgery
Topic Author

Newbie Guide to settuping up UPnP Server?

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:11 am

I've got a Media Center 2005 machine, and would LOVE to use the Roku to view the video files (dvr-ms files)....

Has anyone ever successfuly set this up? If so, how?

Thanks,
Eric :?:

SteveT

Re: Newbie Guide to settuping up UPnP Server?

Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:13 am

tssgery wrote:
I've got a Media Center 2005 machine, and would LOVE to use the Roku to view the video files (dvr-ms files)....
I capture HD OTA shows using MCE (as .dvr-ms files). Then I use VideoRedo to chop off the commercials and padding at the beginning and end, and save as .MPG. This .MPG works (and looks) great with the Roku.
One "gotcha" is that you have to manually determine the correct audio offset, then set it each time you convert. The VideoRedo folks do not (yet) have an automatic way to do this. However, once you determine the correct offset, the same number works for all files.
The VRD conversion of HD does not do any transcoding, so it is very fast.

timh

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:22 pm

I have succeeded in setting up Windows XP Home (w/ SP2) as a UPnP Server for the Roku PhotoBridge. I'm streaming digital pictures and music files with the built in rendering (no 3rd party apps). I want to know what I can do with video, but that's another subject. Here, I just want to share my experience with install/setup so those interested might follow.

Microsoft has released Windows Media Connect V2.0 (WMC). WMC (and the Microsoft PlaysForSure logo/certification program) is the standard most vendors of Digital Media Renders will adopt and follow. Roku has with SoundBridge, and recently added this to the PhotoBridge Features page; "Support for Windows Media Connect (UPnP AV) protocol.". So, I'm trying to go that route from the start with my PB.

If interested, you can download WMC here;
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... /wmconnect

I installed WMC on my XP system, which is a generic 2.8 GHz P4 with 1GB RAM, Radeon 9800PRO, several ATA drives, etc.

For me, the WMC Installation appeared to complete without error. But when I tried to run WMC (from the Control Panel), I got the following error message...
---------------------------
Services Dialog Box:
Could not start the Windows Media Connect Service service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
---------------------------

Note: The Administrative Tool, Event Viewer, indicates; "The Windows Media Connect Service service depends on the Universal Plug and Play Device Host service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

I determined I next had to install the UPnP user interface on my machine...
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Components list, select the Networking Services check box, and then click Details.
Make sure the UPnP User Interface check box is selected.

Notes
To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
If you used a CD to set up Windows, you will be prompted to insert it into your computer.

Note: For me, the installation completed successfully, without a CD.

But WMC still didn't run. The next problem I found is the UPnP Service was not started automatically. Also, it wouldn't manually start due to a dependency on SSDP (Discovery Protocol), which guess what; was in the disabled state.

So, both SSDP and UPnP need to be started. What I did was to set the startup type for both services to Manual and then manually started them, SSDP followed by UPnP...

Log on to your computer as an administrator.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.

Right Click on SSDP Discovery Service and Select Properties
Under Startup Type set to Manual (Automatic might work, but I tried only Manual and it stays enabled after a restart)

Right Click on UPNP Device Host and Select Properties
Under Startup Type set to Manual (Automatic might work, but I tried only Manual and it stays enabled after a restart)

Right Click on SSDP Discovery Service and Select Start
Right Click on UPNP Device Host and Select Start

(worked for me)

Now, I'm able to run WMC, it finds my Roku HD1000, which has to be authorized, directories have to be shared, etc. You can figure this stuff out on your own.

So I guess I'll start looking at the video forums.

If this helps, let me know, and share it with a friend.
Roku HD-1000 v2.0.36 (1080i),
Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),
S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,
XBOX,
Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,
Onkyo TX-SR600 w/Polk Audio (5.1)
Logitech Harmony 676 Remote

timh

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:29 pm

Sorry, I needed to update my signature! This may be very important...

I'm using the new v2.0.35 firmware! I upgrade online from v2.0.34 without problem.

Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),

S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,

XBOX,

Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,

Detonate

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:08 pm

I'm trying to follow these directions, but when I start Media Center Connect, I do not see the Photobridge listed....

Any hints? I have it powered on? I guess I'll go reboot it and see what that does.

timh

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:19 pm

Detonate wrote:
I'm trying to follow these directions, but when I start Media Center Connect, I do not see the Photobridge listed....

Any hints? I have it powered on? I guess I'll go reboot it and see what that does.

That sounds like what I saw. Let's take it a step or two at a time.

1. Are you running FW 2.0.35?
2. What happens when you do this?
Turn On PB
Verify you see your normal Shares,
Open WMC from Control Panel,
Click Settings,
Click Reset (Firewall Settings),
Click Start (Folder Sharing)
If you get an error message, let me know what is says

Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),

S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,

XBOX,

Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,

Detonate

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:32 pm

Well, one thing is that I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be seeing... From the PB side I mean.

1. Are you running FW 2.0.35?
Yep.

2. What happens when you do this?
Turn On PB
Verify you see your normal Shares,
Open WMC from Control Panel,
Click Settings,
Click Reset (Firewall Settings),
Click Start (Folder Sharing)

I don't actually get an error message. Everything appears to be working fine from the XP end. I can ping and telnet to the Roku fine from this PC, it just doesn't see any devices in the device list.

All the required services are running. WMC, UPnP, and SSDP.

I can also see normal shares on all PC's on my network and access them fine, including shares on the XP box running UPnP.

timh

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:39 pm

Detonate wrote:
Well, one thing is that I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be seeing... From the PB side I mean..

In WMC, Click Sharing and remove the default shared folders. Click Add and add a folder that contains a good number of MP3s (and/or JPEGs). Then go to Settings and click Start Folder Sharing. WMC should say it's scanning the folder(s) for media. Then go to PB and search for new shares. On the left of the main screen you should see a new share with a name like "ComputerName : 1 : ...". Let me know if you get this far, or what problem you encounter.

Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),

S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,

XBOX,

Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,

SteveT

Re: Newbie Guide to settuping up UPnP Server?

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:41 am

SteveT wrote:
tssgery wrote:
I capture HD OTA shows using MCE (as .dvr-ms files). Then I use VideoRedo to chop off the commercials and padding at the beginning and end, and save as .MPG. This .MPG works (and looks) great with the Roku.
One "gotcha" is that you have to manually determine the correct audio offset, then set it each time you convert. The VideoRedo folks do not (yet) have an automatic way to do this. However, once you determine the correct offset, the same number works for all files.
The VRD conversion of HD does not do any transcoding, so it is very fast.
UPDATE:
Just wanted to update this that VideoRedo's latest beta has eliminated the need to manually determine the audio offset. It now properly converts my dvr-ms files to mpg with no tweaking required.

DavidBlyler

WMC Problems with 2.0.36

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:50 pm

WMC does not see my HD1000 as one of the devices on the network. Install of WMC went fine, did not have to install UPnP support separately, HD1000 sees WMC shared folders, but when you click on the shared folder from HD1000 interface, get message to authorize the device in WMC. Any idea's what I'm missing. Person on this post seemed to have same problem but did not see how he resolved it.

timh

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:29 pm

but when you click on the shared folder from HD1000 interface, get message to authorize the device in WMC.

In WMC Control Panel, go to Devices tab, select (i.e. click on) the device listed in the window. I see "Unknown Device" followed by a MAC address (which is the PB). While it's highlighted, click the "Allow" button on the bottom of the panel. This is the procedure to "authorize" a device.

For others...
Afterwards, share your media files -- go to the Sharing tab and add the appropriate (media) directories. Then, go to the Settings tab and hit "Start" to start folder sharing (for the previously authorized device).

That's all I had to do. If this doesn't work, you must have run into something I didn't. Good luck.

BTW - I use WMC for image viewing. You should consider SlimServer/SlimRoku for music and MPlay for video.

Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),

S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,

XBOX,

Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,