Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bjorna
Topic Author

Tag info showing "randomly"

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:08 am

For some reason, the HD1000 seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to showing tag info about music tracks. Perhaps about 30% of the tracks are only listed as the file name, the rest properly with artist, title and album.

Examining those that fail to show correctly, I find absolutely nothing wrong with them...

Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Thanks! :?:

BJ

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Tag info showing "randomly"

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:55 am

bjorna wrote:
For some reason, the HD1000 seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to showing tag info about music tracks. Perhaps about 30% of the tracks are only listed as the file name, the rest properly with artist, title and album.

Examining those that fail to show correctly, I find absolutely nothing wrong with them...

Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Thanks! :?:

BJ

What type of music files? MP3? WMA? AAC? FLAC?
As far as I know, only files with ID3 tags will display correctly in the built-in music player.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

bjorna
Topic Author

Tags

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:29 am

I have both MP3 and AAC files, all tagged with standard ID3 tags (done in iTunes).

Even for one album, all tracks ripped in the same session, some tracks show up on the HD1000 using the tag information, some just with the file name.

I must admit I'm puzzled by this!

bjorna
Topic Author

I was wring: Only AAC files show up without tag

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:58 pm

I thought I saw many MP3 files showing up only with file name as well, but upon closer inspection I realize now it's all my AAC/M4A files that are listed only with file name...

Is this normal? Anything that can be done to make the HD1000 read these files' tags?

BJ

soiaf

Re: Tags

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:24 am

bjorna wrote:
I have both MP3 and AAC files, all tagged with standard ID3 tags (done in iTunes).

Are you sure iTunes is using ID3 tagging for the AAC files? It sounds like its using QT tagging for the AAC files.
The default music application on the PhotoBridge only supports ID3 tags as you know, so assuming the AAC files are tagged with QT tags then you'll only get the file name.
If you want to see the actual tags for the files you'll have to use a third party application like SlimRoku (using SlimServer as a server) or Sonica (which can just use shares like the default music application).

bjorna
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:17 am

I won't claim to be a tag expert, but I truly believe both the MP3 and AAC files have ID3 tags. This is the standard iTunes tagging method as far as I know, and when selecting a file and trying to choose the menu option Convert ID3 tags, this choice is hidden, indicating it is an ID3 tag already?

soiaf

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:51 am

bjorna wrote:
I won't claim to be a tag expert, but I truly believe both the MP3 and AAC files have ID3 tags. This is the standard iTunes tagging method as far as I know, and when selecting a file and trying to choose the menu option Convert ID3 tags, this choice is hidden, indicating it is an ID3 tag already?

AAC files as used by iTunes are in a MPEG4 container, and Apple have their own tagging format/structure (often called QT tagging) for use within the container. I don't use iTunes myself, but certainly any AAC files that I've looked at that came from iTunes were not using ID3, they were using QT tags.

bjorna
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:55 am

Well, that is good to know! Is there any of converting the original iTunes tag format to ID3 that you know of?

Thx!

soiaf

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:12 am

It may be possible to add an ID3 tag (as well as retaining the QT tagging), I'm not sure but I'd make a guess that mp3tag may be able to do this for you.
All I can suggest is trying this on one of your files (make a backup of the file first) and then (if it is able to add an ID3 tag) make sure the file still works in iTunes.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Alternatively as I mentioned earlier you could try using the music player Sonica, which supports a number of different tagging formats, including ID3 and QT.