Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Burkhardi
Topic Author

Lease renewal will not work correctly

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:22 pm

I have my rounters DHCP lease time set to 8640 (6days) for devices conencted to it, and the Photobridge will only do 12hrs. Once it's up, it does 12 again. The other two devices will go back to 6days (5d 23:59:59) after their lease is up.

Any ideas?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Lease renewal will not work correctly

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:31 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
I have my rounters DHCP lease time set to 8640 (6days) for devices conencted to it, and the Photobridge will only do 12hrs. Once it's up, it does 12 again. The other two devices will go back to 6days (5d 23:59:59) after their lease is up.

Any ideas?

I have no clue, but it might help others if you mentioned what router you have. Weren't you having the same problem with your SoundBridge?

Also, why not try static IP instead?

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Burkhardi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:49 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:

Any ideas?

I have no clue, but it might help others if you mentioned what router you have. Weren't you having the same problem with your SoundBridge?

Also, why not try static IP instead?

TheEndless

Sorry, it's a Linksys WRT54GS (Hardware version2) and I have my PC on a Static IP, along with my M1000. My M500 is DCHP, as well as my laptop and and HD1000. Yes, I am still trouble shooting the SB lockups. I think it started at the last Firmware upgrade for the routner, and made a post about that and I guess I am the only one with a WRT54GS running the new firmware.

Anyway, I put my M1000 on a static IP to try to fix the issue with it locking up when the lease expired. However it would still do it, at the same interval that it did when in DHCP. By chance, I had it off (no power, not standby) and since turning it back on, I have not been having the lockup issue on the M1000. It was like the rounter was still treating it as DHCP, even thought it was on a sataic IP, but you would not see it in the DHCP routing table.

Like it was a glitch or bug. Anyway, I assume this becasue the M1000 was off a tad bit longer then the lease time. So I am assuming it cleared something out (DHCP chache or something like that, if there is such a thing?) and it seems to be fine,...knock on wood. Should I have done a IPconfig /release before giving the M1000 a static IP?

Well while trouble shooting, I also noticed that the lease would never fall below 4days on any device, even though it was on a 6days lease time, so that is why I was seeing the lockups more oftern then the lease time in real time. For example, with a 6day lease, I may see it lock up every other day, or every third day. Once I would look at the DHCP table, the lease time would be at a value one would expect if the lease expired at the same time it locked up. I also noticed that the PB would never go above 12hrs. after seeing the M1000 seeming to be fixed, I wondered if I was having the same issue with the PB since it was on a 1 day lease in the beginning.

I wanted to put the PB on a static IP, but the posts made it sould difficult to do. Perhaps I should go read it again. This is not a OEM function for the PB and I have to use an editor that it not too friendly to the laymen, right?

I really hope the issue with the M1000 is behind me, it was driving me and my wife nuts! Every 24hours (or what ever time it was on), you would have to reset the M1000, or if it was royaly hosed, pull the wall wart.

Thansk for the reply BTW.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

soiaf

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:36 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
I wanted to put the PB on a static IP, but the posts made it sould difficult to do. Perhaps I should go read it again. This is not a OEM function for the PB and I have to use an editor that it not too friendly to the laymen, right?

Normally you would have to use the editor (vi) to edit the file, but I wrote a script which makes the process a bit simpler.

http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/p.mc.quillan/addstatic.zip

1) Download the above file

2) Unzip the file and put the contents on a compact flash card.

3) Telnet into the roku as root.

4) Execute the script, done as follows
/mnt/flash1/addstatic.sh

It will ask you for your preferred static IP address, your network mask and your gateway address and will modify the necessary file for you (no vi required).

Burkhardi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:36 pm

soiaf wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:

Normally you would have to use the editor (vi) to edit the file, but I wrote a script which makes the process a bit simpler.

http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/p.mc.quillan/addstatic.zip

1) Download the above file

2) Unzip the file and put the contents on a compact flash card.

3) Telnet into the roku as root.

4) Execute the script, done as follows
/mnt/flash1/addstatic.sh

It will ask you for your preferred static IP address, your network mask and your gateway address and will modify the necessary file for you (no vi required).

Thank you very, very much! I am having company over with the wife and will install this asap. I'll post back. Thanks for taking the time to do this, your too kind 8)

soiaf

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:56 am

Burkhardi wrote:
Thank you very, very much! I am having company over with the wife and will install this asap. I'll post back. Thanks for taking the time to do this, your too kind 8)

To be honest I wrote it a few months ago :)
But hopefully it'll help you out.

Burkhardi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 pm

Just got my PC back up, your app worked great, thanks! :P 8)

Burkhardi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:42 pm

For anyone that is following this thread:
Everything is great now, I asssume letting the lease fully expire fixed it? I also have it set as a static IP too.

drew138

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:31 am

Burkhardi wrote:
Everything is great now, I asssume letting the lease fully expire fixed it? I also have it set as a static IP too.

Thanks for the updates. Is this the best way to create a static IP address on the PB? I'm not a telnet expert, or novice for that matter, but I'm willing to give it a shot. To tellnet, is it at simple as Telnet <roku ipaddress> from a command prompt? Is there a "how-to"?

Thanks

Drew

Burkhardi
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:38 am

drew138 wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:

Thanks for the updates. Is this the best way to create a static IP address on the PB? I'm not a telnet expert, or novice for that matter, but I'm willing to give it a shot. To tellnet, is it at simple as Telnet <roku ipaddress> from a command prompt? Is there a "how-to"?

Thanks

Drew

It was a cake walk. I used internet explorer to telnet into with, I got rid of "http://www.***.com" and used "telent://192.168.1.105" 192.168.1.105 was my ip address before I set it to static, I got it off the user interface of the PB. when you do that, you will get a black popup window and when it says login, type "root". then you use the script that soiaf said to use "/mnt/flash1/addstatic.sh" and just answered the questions.

Make sure you have the CF card in and know what IP you want to use.

drew138

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:10 am

Burkhardi wrote:
drew138 wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:

Thanks

Drew

It was a cake walk. I used internet explorer to telnet into with, I got rid of "http://www.***.com" and used "telent://192.168.1.105" 192.168.1.105 was my ip address before I set it to static, I got it off the user interface of the PB. when you do that, you will get a black popup window and when it says login, type "root". then you use the script that soiaf said to use "/mnt/flash1/addstatic.sh" and just answered the questions.

Make sure you have the CF card in and know what IP you want to use.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Someone needs to write up a comprehensive FAQ on this thing!

Drew

DiamondPete

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:54 pm

I tried following the directions above, added the desired static ip address, subnet mask and gateway, but got the following error:

/mnt/flash1/addstatic.sh: line 165: syntax error near unexpected token `&?$?V??}??(@???_??'
/mnt/flash1/addstatic.sh: line 165: `echo "IPADDR=$IPADDR" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scri7c?g?>??c?O?Xuqk?&?$?V??}??(@???_??'

Photobridge still has the original non-static ip. Any help? Thanks

DiamondPete

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:01 pm

Nevermind on that... looks like the file was corrupted when I copied it to the CF. Recopied it, ran the script again, and now I have a static IP on my PB! Thanks.

Next problem, however, is I cannot see any shares. I get messages like can't ping server, or can't resolve IP when I try to connect. I have a Linsys wet54g bridge, with DHCP.

soiaf

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:08 pm

DiamondPete wrote:
Next problem, however, is I cannot see any shares. I get messages like can't ping server, or can't resolve IP when I try to connect. I have a Linsys wet54g bridge, with DHCP.

I'd first suggest trying connecting your PhotoBridge directly to your router via ethernet cable and try to rescan for shares that way. If that works that would suggest that the linksys is not talking properly to your router.