Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

SoCalBill
Topic Author

Accessing remote hard drives

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:26 am

I am running the PhotoBridge from a MacG4 which works fine. The Mac only has a 30GB internal hard drive but two 250GB external drives. I would like to access files on the external drives but the Roku only recognizes the home directory. I tried putting an alias to an external drive file in the home directory but, while the Roku shows the alias it doesn't allow selecting it (it is dimmed in the menu). If I add another internal drive to the G4 will it recognize that? Will it only recognize the home directory? Thanks for any help!

chackett

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:45 am

Aliases don't work with the SMB implementation on OS X; you have to use symbolic links instead. Try searching on macosxhints.com and you'll find instructions on how to do it. Or, use the SharePoints app (it's freeware, I believe) which lets you set up individual folders or external drives as SMB shares.

rgwirtz

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:23 am

A program called MakeSymlink 1.1.5 is great. There's a plug-in installer which will create a contextual menu item (when you ctrl-click on a folder) which says "create symlink" (as an alternative to "create alias"). It will ask you where you want the symlink item. Put it in your home folder. Works like a charm!