Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DiamondPete
Topic Author

No ip address or shares

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:32 pm

Hi: I have been trying to set up my photobridge for a couple of days and have reached a high level of frustration. I cannot get the system to see the network, no matter how I configure it.

I have a rev A photobridge, with 2.0.34

I connected it to a Linksys WET54G, My router is a AT&T 6800G, to which I have a PC connected by wired ethernet and a MAC connected by airport.

When I set up the linksys, by connecting it to the pc by cable, it shows an IP address of 192.168.0.103
Then, when I move it over to the PB, and reboot the PB, PB says ip<none> and won't find the network. Everything else on the network works fine. I have it set with WEP 128.

Any ideas? Thanks, Pete

dgburns

Re: No ip address or shares

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:54 pm

DiamondPete wrote:
Any ideas?

Try it with WEP disabled.

Also be aware, if you're planning to do HiDef video playback, you're going to need to a) setup a swap file on a CF card and b) use wired Ethernet, not wireless. Without doing both your frustrations will be overwhelming...
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

soiaf

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:29 am

Isn't the Linksys WET54G a wireless bridge? In which case you don't go anywhere near the wireless settings on the PhotoBridge. In this setup its meant to work as if the PhotoBridge was wired into a network.

DiamondPete
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:54 am

Yes, the WET54G is a bridge, and I have not done anything with the PB wireless settings.

I have a long ethernet cable hanging around, so I was able to try a direct wired connection between the PB and the router (they are in separate rooms). The PB worked fine. So, at least it tells me there's nothing wrong with the PB or its ability to get an IP address from this router. Then, when I hooked up the WET554G again, no IP.

Choices:

1) if something is wrong with the WET54G, replace it (ugh!)

2) get a new router that might be compatible with the WET54G (shouldn't they be compatible as long as they are both certified "g"?)

3) run a cat5e cable through the walls and basement and eliminate the wireless (double ugh!)

Any thoughts? Thanks.

soiaf

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:37 am

If you are able to connect it to a router and get an IP address, then one option I would suggest would be to give the PhotoBridge a static IP address.
This would at least remove any possible issues with DHCP and the initial setup (i.e. getting an IP address).
Have a look at this thread, theres a post from me giving details about how to get a static IP address.
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4960

In your case you would connect the PB to your router, get a DHCP address, telnet in and follow the instructions in that post.
As an example, if your linksys has an address of 192.168.0.103 you'd give the PhotoBridge an address of 192.168.0.104.

If this doesn't work, then in theory any problems after this would indicate a communication/setup issue between the linksys and your router.

tjdebon

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:54 pm

I had similar problems when I first hooked up a wireless G bridge. I had to connect a notebook PC to the bridge so I could play with is security settings etc and troubleshoot communication to my router. Once it worked with the notebook the PB was able to cnnect through it without any setttings changes.

abrasket

Re: No ip address or shares

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:35 am

DiamondPete wrote:
Hi: I have been trying to set up my photobridge for a couple of days and have reached a high level of frustration. I cannot get the system to see the network, no matter how I configure it.

I have a rev A photobridge, with 2.0.34

I connected it to a Linksys WET54G, My router is a AT&T 6800G, to which I have a PC connected by wired ethernet and a MAC connected by airport.

When I set up the linksys, by connecting it to the pc by cable, it shows an IP address of 192.168.0.103
Then, when I move it over to the PB, and reboot the PB, PB says ip<none> and won't find the network. Everything else on the network works fine. I have it set with WEP 128.

Any ideas? Thanks, Pete

I am having a similar problem. When Roku put the WET54G bridge on the supported list does anyone know what version that was?

I have a belkin wireless router, trying to use the Linksys WET54g V3 as a bridge to my Roku running 2.0.36 (34?).

If I plug the Roku into the router directly everything works fine. But when I use bridge through the wireless network, it doesn't seem to get the right IP address from the router. Will show up as none or 192.168.0.155 rather than something like 192.168.2.9 direct into router.

What's weird is that the WET54G appears to be working. If I go to the router from my pc, I have actually verfied the mac address of the Roku attached to a dynamically assigned IP #. The roku is showing something a different IP and not finding any network shares.

Very frustrating. I could try to configure things with static IP numbers but then my storage device won't work I fear.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Aaron