Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wrgilmore
Topic Author

New with ROKU, XP with Itunes

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:45 pm

I just bought the ROKU and have it all hooked up. I can play the Art and that is cool. I can play the music that came with it and that is cool.

I have a home network and the reason I bought the HD1000 is that I can play my MUSIC from my PC via my Home Stereo through ROKU.

Is this correct? Can I do it? The HD1000 hooked up to the network.

What do I need to do.

PLEASE help. We are hosting a Christmas party tomorrow and I told my wife I will have the music working.

Crossing my fingers.

Wayne Gilmore
Parsons, KS

leenuxg33k

Upgrade to 2.0.36

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:06 pm

First thing your going to want to do is upgrade to the latest beta software.

Follow these links:

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2904

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5053

You will need a blank compact flash card and a card reader/writer for your PC. You can use the compact flash reader/writer in the HD1000 if you really need to.

leenuxg33k

then add SlimRoku

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:08 pm

After you get on 2.0.36 firmware I would install slimRoku and slimServer. SlimServer will support your iTunes music.

wrgilmore
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:33 pm

THank you. I am going to work on this tonight.

So, I download this, and drag it onto a Compact Flash card, and then place it in the HD1000?

Or do I do it via the networking? This is something else I do not have set up and do not understand how to do this. Is there a step by step somewhere. Someone this techno challenged should have this gadgets :)

THANK YOU!

leenuxg33k

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:37 pm

wrgilmore wrote:
THank you. I am going to work on this tonight.

So, I download this, and drag it onto a Compact Flash card, and then place it in the HD1000?

Or do I do it via the networking? This is something else I do not have set up and do not understand how to do this. Is there a step by step somewhere. Someone this techno challenged should have this gadgets :)

THANK YOU!

If you just bought the unit it probably has firmware version 1.5.18 on it.. That version of the firmware has no network upgrade ability (at least it won't work). So yes, you need to copy the format.roku to the compact flash card. Insert the flash card into the roku and hold the power button until it reboots.. wait a long time until it boots up.. then remove the card so you don't keep installing the same firmware.

wrgilmore
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:35 pm

What is a long time? 3 minutes?

I did as you say. Pushed the power button and the light came on and went off. Never came back on?? Does the light come back on when its rebooted?

Also, where can I find the slim software? Do I add it the same way?

TIA

Wayne

leenuxg33k

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:47 pm

wrgilmore wrote:
What is a long time? 3 minutes?

I did as you say. Pushed the power button and the light came on and went off. Never came back on?? Does the light come back on when its rebooted?

Also, where can I find the slim software? Do I add it the same way?

TIA

Wayne

Sounds like you just pushed it. You need to hold the button until it flashes, you will then see the activity light on the far right light up.

firmware should be called formatup.rok on the compact flash card.

You can download SlimServer (this part runs on your PC) from www.slimdevices.com.
Then install SlimRoku on a share that you mount on your Roku.

wrgilmore
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:48 pm

Ok, my update went fine. Thank you.

Now on the PC itself -- I am printing off the SHaring information on the ROKU website.?

And the slim is on the ROKU not the PC?

wrgilmore
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:19 pm

Ok, i actually was able to view my software on the ROKU on the Plasma Screen and played the first song in my library. It was AC/DC. I could pause it, but could not stop it and go to another song?

I have not downloaded the Slim software yet? What exactly will it enable me to do?

Thanks

Wayne

Wulgaru

Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:24 pm

wrgilmore
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:27 pm

THe Slimserver software goes on my PC?

And the slimroku goes on a compact flash card, then onto the ROKU?

I do not have this on the ROKU yet, and just played my first song wtihout a problem. I could pause but not stop to select another song. The after the song was over, it would not allow me to play another song, it said it was unavailable. So hopefully this slim software will help me.

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just dont wan to mess anything us. This is all new to me, but getting the taste of it by playing one song already has me hooked.

TIA

Wayne

chackett

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:19 am

You can put the third-party apps (like SlimRoku) on a CF card, but you're probably better off putting them on a share on your PC instead. Roku has directions on how to set up a shared folder (or drive) on their website in the support section.

If you have any issues installing SlimServer on your PC (I found it a little counter-intuitive, but then I'm a mac person) then check the forums at www.slimdevices.com; they have some good tips.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

wrgilmore
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:15 am

What will Slimroku do for me? I am now playing Itunes on though ROKU without it? What added features/performance will I have?

On another note. Is it possible to have a slide show on the PLasma TV when Itunes is playing as well?

THanks

leenuxg33k

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:16 am

wrgilmore wrote:
What will Slimroku do for me? I am now playing Itunes on though ROKU without it? What added features/performance will I have?

On another note. Is it possible to have a slide show on the PLasma TV when Itunes is playing as well?

THanks

If you run SlimRoku you can have your slideshow at the same time. But this should also be possible if you are running the built in music player.

The other advantage that I see of SlimRoku is that it allows you to queue up music from your computers web browser as well. I don't believe the internal player has any idea of a queue of music to play at all. You can also queue up music in slimroku on your tv screen as well.